Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on binoculars 500$ or less.

Re: Opinion on binoculars 500$ or less.

I love my Mavin B1’s. Out side your budget but the C1’s have been getting great reviews.

It's much more difficult to produce really good binoculars in the 10 power range than in a 7 or 8 power range. So you pay for it. Binoculars that magnify at the expensive of detail are a waste of money, you'll see more with your naked eye ball. So the floor for 10x is $1000, where as you can get very good 7x binoculars for $500. I got a 7x42 Nippon Light and Optics made for Bushnell for $500, but if I wanted a 10x I would have had to step up to Bushnell Elite for $1000 to get the same quality. Both made by the same firm.

These rules hold for all brands, Pentax, Nikon. If you want to know the current rankings check a birder site, there is considerable difference in size between a moose and a finch. I think it's called Betterveiw . There' some very good inexpensive glass out there now without paying the outrageous markup the scope companies tack on for the same binos.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 02-14-2018 at 10:03 AM.

I have a pair of Leupold BX2 Acadias. They’re not bad, better than my $80 redfields lol

I like my Nikon's, they have been through some pretty rough weather. Not the at the top end of things but do the job.

I have the bushnell legend 10x42 they were about 350 I think when I bought them. Great binoculars with a long range. They come with a nice case and lens covers that stay attached.

If you don't need 'compact' check these out: https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwer...series-8x40mm/

They get awesome reviews. I bought a pair for banging around in the truck and I'm VERY happy with them.

I had mine shipped to my Blaine PO box so I don't know what their shipping policy is like.

I picked up a pair of Cabelas Intensity HD binos in 10 x 42 to replace on old pair of Olympus. $250.00
    Used them last season numerous times in everything from hot to freezing, snow to rain and were very impressed, particularly at dawn when everything is grey.
    Was so impressed that I picked up a pair for Son In Law for Xmas, he's also very impressed.

You all are great thanks for all the suggestions. Sucks trying to pic stuff when u can’t find it all in one spot to play with lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OoDark View Post
    You all are great thanks for all the suggestions. Sucks trying to pic stuff when u can’t find it all in one spot to play with lol.
    I sometimes think I’m as interested in selecting gear as I am in actually going hunting. I even read reviews for products I’m only marginally interested in- just to see what’s good.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    It's much more difficult to produce really good binoculars in the 10 power range than in a 7 or 8 power range.
    This is incorrect. For same model binoculars the only difference between 8x and 10x is one single, small element inside.

The reason they charge more is because of marketing BS. But not all do. Some have equally priced 8x and 10x models.

If if was so much more difficult to produce the 10x versus 8x the price difference wouldn't be the usual $50-$80. It would be significantly higher than that

Edit: if you didn't mean in the same model but in general, then yes, you would be correct. Stay away from cheap high powered binos. An old friend once bought a cheap pair of 12x50 and they were completely useless. You could see better by zooming in on your phone than you could with those things. The only thing they magnify is their own flaws.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 02-14-2018 at 11:24 PM.