Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elk leh 7:20 Zona A, feeling defeated out the gate

Re: Elk leh 7:20 Zona A, feeling defeated out the gate

So after tripping over dozens of moose, mules and a few whiteys this week with no sign of elk up we get this morning to make the hour drive to one of the properties we can hunt by first light, it's an isolated little corner alongside the peace river it's a 3km stretch of field a little over 1km wide surrounded by trees with with 2 stands of trees down the middle and a tiny rustic cabin at the front end; there's about 4' of snow on the fields and it's like -23c after blazing up a fire in the cabin it's starting to get light so we strap up and fight our way through the snow to the tree line in the middle of the field for a good vantage point, couple hours later we're back to the cabin after seeing nothing except howling coyotes
    hanging out glassing as the fog that was surrounding the fields lifts now we can see the hills and there they are!
    5 elk bedded in an opening about 300yds up a draw and 3 km across deep snow fields barely visible but definitely there so "screw it!" this is gonna hurt but it's gotta be done,
    The plan, I go down the tree line where the elk can keep an eye on me as I pose no threat while my partner (the threat) head to toe in white stealthfully sneaks around the other side to come up under them
    and after 3 hours of snowy misery had finally come up under them, backed out into the field to get them in his sights and......................MULE DEER!!!!��

I don't get it .... you trudged in snow for 3 hours .... in -23*C, only to realize the elk you were stalking weren't even elk?

That don't seem right. Or did they move out and mule walked in? :/

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I don't get it .... you trudged in snow for 3 hours .... in -23*C, only to realize the elk you were stalking weren't even elk?

That don't seem right. Or did they move out and mule walked in? :/
    It's the old "bait and switch trick", elk are known to do this.....

Haha, rookie fail. A guy has gotta learn somehow.

I'm still trying to figure out in my minds eye exactly what transpired
    because making the decision to treck through hell to get there didn't happen lightly
    they were extremely hard to see at that distance but I'm still convinced that I confirmed at least one elk they were coming and going there was 3 then 5 then 3 when we arrived that were muleys
    i believe there had been 2 elk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillerbillyvan View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out in my minds eye exactly what transpired
    because making the decision to treck through hell to get there didn't happen lightly
    they were extremely hard to see at that distance but I'm still convinced that I confirmed at least one elk they were coming and going there was 3 then 5 then 3 when we arrived that were muleys
    i believe there had been 2 elk
    Tasco binos and spotting scope lol

Easy folks don't rip the guy at least he is out there trying, good luck i hope you connect

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Easy folks don't rip the guy at least he is out there trying, good luck i hope you connect
    Absolutely!, I wish I was there....gotta have a little fun around the forum campfire....

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Well said hopefully there's elk in the freezer.
    A+,for effort.

Well looks like it's over
    my partner here is backing out of the plan early, instead of moving on to a new spot he's making me take him home
    oh well it was a good ride, at least it's not like I'm going without, I woulda had to buy a new freezer anyway lol
    i have plenty to last as we were able to fill my brothers elk tag in sept and I have plenty of leftover moose and venison I can stretch till next season,
    thanks for chiming in guys!