Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting near Davis Lake/Sylvester Rd area?

Hunting near Davis Lake/Sylvester Rd area?

Heard lots of guys have success up in this area,I know on the weekends
    it can be a bit of a gong show with the "shooting gallery" dynamic up there but luckily most of my days off are during the week.
    Ive been up there a few times late last season(post rut) to do some scouting around and saw lots of sign and quite a few does.
    I'm wondering if it's worth focusing up in that area this season or if I'd be wasting my time.Problem is I usually don't have days off in a row so I need to be able to hunt somewhere fairly local (Mission,Maple Ridge,Abbotsford,Chilliwack) in order to be able to put some decent time in.
    Any thoughts guys?Or any other ideas on some spots worth hunting in those areas?I don't expect I'm gunna get any secret spots but some general ideas would really help a guy out whoselooking to put meat in the freezer this fall.

Greg.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting near Davis Lake/Sylvester Rd area?

If I had a day off, I would make sure all my gear was kept organized and ready, and I would head up to Merritt at 3 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
    If I had a day off, I would make sure all my gear was kept organized and ready, and I would head up to Merritt at 3 am.
    x2
    way too much traffic up sylvester

Plenty of good ground and deer up Sylvester, just like any of the other local roads. Key is GTFO of the truck and hike. You won't see any crowds doing that.

In a perfect world yeah I would head up Merritt way but I know about as many spots to hunt there as I do here so
    if I'm gunna strike out may as well do it local and save gas lol.I am hoping to do a couple Day hunt later in the season up near Rock Creek so mostly just looking to try my luck at a local buck.

When I was up there scouting last season I parked in a lot of places and hiked quite a ways through some of the cut blocks up some of the deactivated roads,covered a lot of ground and don't mind hunting that way,guess I'll just have to do the same again this year and hope I bump into something,just didn't want to spend to much time up there if there wasn't at least a fair chance of a deer.

If you are seeing plenty of does then obviously the deer are there. You can give it a go but realize they will be heavily pressured, there won't be many gimmes on the heavily traveled corridors so try to get off the beaten track and look for the overlooked pockets. Like Wentrot said, fewer hunters hike any real distance away from the roads so that is good place to start. I once had a place where I hunted up in Chilliwack valley, a heavily hunted area where the only boot prints in the snow week after week were my own. It was nasty to get in there, but the deer were there. In a way you gotta start hunting hunters... where are all the hunters going to be focusing, what are the easy places to access? Avoid those places and start looking at all places that you avoid for whatever reason.

I have pulled a number of deer out a small area that I regularly walked right past for years. I never actually thought of venturing into it as I was focusing on different places that I figured would pay off. Then one day I looked at it and went huh! Why do I always walk by this area? I bet other guys do the same. Lets go in there and see what's up! Viola a perfect spot for deer to sneak around in.
    Last edited by brian; 09-02-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Interesting point,might be a little more cautious about deciding which spots to pass on by in the future with that in mind.It all makes sense and I'm thinking it'll be worth a shot.Dunno how many opportunities I'll get up there (newborn in the house has lessened the possible hunting hours this season) but I will post up if I manage to get lucky and find something up there.

Have taken quite a few deer out of Sylvester, theirs lots of deer but you have to get out of the truck and hike, last year I took a deer out of stave and one out of Harrison, took my hunting buddy out and he took 2 bucks out of Harrison and my girlfriend took one out of norrish area, their is plenty of deer you just have to find them. Your doing the right thing though scout hard. Find the food, find the mature timber, find the water find southern exposure. If it's absolutely miserable outside pissing rain side way get out their and hunt em cause they move hard, if you've found the does you already ahead, a spot I hunt in mission I keep tabs on the does and wait till the rut gets close cause theirs gonna be bucks. Best time to hunt them is the rut cause they are moving. I find October they are mostly nocturnal or hung up in the thick stuff not moving much eating and packing on weight for the up comming rut

Chilliwack is also I good place to check out I got some big blacktails on trail came from last year beginning of November just cruising trails looking for tail. Everyone says Merritt or the coq yeah theirs more deer but most people don't wanna climb the hills and get frustrated by not seeing a lot or anything on Day hunts, this will teach you percistance, patients and a good learning experience to understand how to find blacktails. Theirs some good area not to far up Sylvester on the right and their is also some really really good area above Salisbury lake on the left. last one I shot out of Sylvester I had to drag by myself around 4kms to a road.

hopefully you stick it out and give it a shot in their if so welcome to an addiction...... blacktail hunting addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
    If you actually want a deer
    fallow this advice.
    I no longer live in the LML. But if I did... that's exactly what I use to do.

But, if you scout and try real hard, a blacktail is much more rewarding.