Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best $300 Scope

Re: Best $300 Scope

The Bushnell 4200 2.5x10 is built like a tank, and weighs like one as well. It's been around for a very long time,just with a different name. But it's a lot more reliable then any thing else. You just can't boast.

At that price point scopes are meant for once a year hunters.

I have VX-2 2x7 . I guess I should take it and the mighty 260 to the range and see if it goes loose again before the hunting season, chuckle.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 02-12-2018 at 08:47 PM.

precision optics has VX1 3-9X40 on sale for $314. I have a bunch of vx1's that have served me well for a very long time with no issues.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

If it’s outta the 3 you mention..... I would say Bushnell .

Will it be mainly used for hunting squirrels?

Leupold vx-1 3x9x40 is good and worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    The Bushnell 4200 2.5x10 is built like a tank, and weighs like one as well. It's been around for a very long time,just with a different name. But it's a lot more reliable then any thing else. You just can't boast.

I have VX-2 2x7 . I guess I should take it and the mighty 260 to the range and see if it goes loose again before the hunting season, chuckle.
    I not sure that scopes that cost $300 are only suitable for one use per year, nor is scope budget an indicator of a persons time in the bush each season.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I’ve had a couple bushnells I had issuea with, i put a diamondback on my savage and it was a decent combo, now I have a browning and a zeiss and the savage is a back up gun. You can find something decent for $300, not sure why it would be a “once a year” scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post

Not sure I buy into the "once a year" mentality. I used my $20 scope for 10 years, lots of bush time, taken lots of animals. Only reason I'm upgrading is I want sharper glass, it's never let me down. So if I can get that kind of reliability out of a throw away scope, I'm sure a $300 scope will more than exceed my expectations.
    Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. (Job 14:1 KJV)

I bought a used leupold m8 fixed 6x42. Best scope I’ve had on a hunting rifle. Was 300$
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

Relatively new at the game & all I have is a vintage Weaver on an equally vintage 30-06 to compare to, but I really like the Leupold VX1 that I chose for my new Anschutz .22. Tempted to transfer it to the old 30-06, but don't think it will fit the swing away Pachmayr mount the old Weaver is on & I like the option to use the iron sights on the big gun if needed.

By once a year, I mean the scopes aren't built to military specs like your Nightforces. Most hunters, are right a few, just sight in, most don't, then shoot your deer. What's that less than 10 shots, with a 30-06 or a 270 ? A lot don't do either. So the $300 scope should live long.

When Leupold upgraded their VariX-II line to the VX-2 , my hunting partner had an in where we could buy them at wholesale. So my we bought three 2x7s. He got two, I got one. The 2x7 and for that matter, the VX-3 2.5x8 are sweet little scopes, light, with very forgiving eye placement. That's at the cost of field of view , optic law, so you just back off the magnification. My hunting partner warned me these scopes are only good for two boxes of bullets. That's as far as his went before they were Alberta bound. Mine only lasted one box of bullets, but I'm cheaper I use Hornadys, they're 100 count boxes instead of 50 count Noslers. When they returned my partner sold his. I'm hoping they beefed them up when they repaired mine but that's likely only wishful thinking. Isn't Alberta Bound the name of an old song?