Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rodents in engine compartment

Re: Rodents in engine compartment

heres the culprit after his face got smashed in by the fan

Mothball smell works its way into the cab . Use peppermint oil with water and spray it around the engine compartment every so often . Rodents despise the smell , and yes the wiring on almost all new vehicles is soy based .

they love to chew on wires and anything rubber, check it out closely, if its been chewed could be costly,
    ICBC covers this under your comprehensive

Poison doesn't kill them on the spot it makes them thirsty and they leave looking for water before they die.

I saw an ad today touting raptors (owls) as the best rat defence, admonishing not to use rat poison because it kills owls. I haven't seen an owl in my garage yet but I've seen rat shit so I'll be using poison.
    My occupational hazard being my occupations just not around-- J. Buffet

I lost my previous truck due to an unexplained engine fire.
    When I bought my new truck I noticed numerous vermin droppings all over my engine block.

I killed them by carefully putting traps under the truck and also under the hood.

Mothballs work as good as gasoline on a campfire, I had mice build a nest right on top of a mothball at Roche lake.

A packrat built a nest in engine compartment made of used shit tickets and terds from the makeshift outhouse that was on site from the previous hunters. We hadn't used the outhouse yet so it was even more disgusting as we knew it wasn't ours. He wouldn't take any bait on rat trap so we harassed the hell out of him one morning with no luck then drove the truck 20km away, parked it and he jumped out at some point. he chewed flame ******ant and wires. Oh and he kept coming in the wall tent. I was having a dream about a cat walking on me... I woke up and it was the packrat on my sleeping bag. I freaking lost it!

Last year about 1 1/2 hours south of Vanderhoof while hunting for a few days we get ready to leave and I start up the Dmax with the remote, the truck starts then immediately shuts down, never a good sign.
    I restarted it with the key and a check engine light is on,sure enough there is a nest on the manifold. I drive home to Quesnel with no issues and plugged in my scan tool which throws a code about intake air sensor problem or something like that which gave me a hint as to where to look.
    Sure enough there was some wires chewed up which were easily repaired, the moral of the story for me was if those wires disabled my truck, I might have had a big tow bill and I now take that scan tool with me on trips, sure there may be problems even if I know what they are that I cant fix in the field but maybe the tool will reveal some issues that are easily repaired to get you home.
    I will in the future take moth balls and maybe some of the ideas to repel the little buggers

There's stuff you can buy at walmart for this exact purpose. ..its a spray or powder....not sure how it works but worth checking out ....canadain tire or princess auto might have something also.

I have heard fabric softener sheets work as well.