Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodents in engine compartment

Rodents in engine compartment

Hi Folks;
    Just cleaned my truck and was detailing the engine compartment and found rodent poops on the top of the engine cover, has anybody had this problem and any suggestions on how to get rid of them?
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rodents in engine compartment

Daily driver or parked.?Moth balls under the hood work.
    BCWF

Hunters and Poachers are not brothers

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Daily driver 2016 Ram Rebel

I had this happen to me. Rats made a nest in the block and gnawed through my knock sensor wires resulting in a significant repair bill. I think this is a winter phenomenon where by they seek shelter on a warm block. I am not sure how to prevent future occurrences though have read that mothballs hanging in the engine bay is one solution (can't imagine that would smell very nice in the cab so I have not tried). Traps underneath maybe but if you have other pets around that might end up being suboptimal.

Set a rat trap with peanut butter inside the engine surrounding area..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Has been a big issue as of late. I'm told that some of the new vehicle wiring(don't know the makes) is not plastic coated but a soy product. Some big bills to repair.

Moth balls in those neat little packets. Different smell but still effective. Zip tied halfway on the pack between the two tablets and it stays till it has fully dissolved. Canadian tire sells them. PARA-ZENE® Moth Balls. Can be zip tied anywhere. Squirrels hate them.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

You could also try leaving the hood open 12" or so.
    BCWF

Hunters and Poachers are not brothers

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Get yourself some of the sticky glue traps, and put them on both sides of your tires after you park. It's the easiest way into the engine compartment for the little b******s.

Soy used in wiring is definitely a problem!

Use traps not poison. If you poison they will die in a bad spot and start to decompose, you know the rest. Icdc covers rodent damage
    BCWF
    VIPDC