Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What kind of hunter are you?

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

So a couple of questions:

1) Road Hunting -- I've done a fair amount of this, but generally have not had time to get out, load up and take a shot before they bust into the roadside brush. So how do you manage it?

2) Blind hunting -- My looking at my trail cameras, it seems most of the critters are not moving at the crack of dawn, but around 9am-1pm. So when do you get into your blind and how long do you stay in it?

3) Slow walking -- What pattern do you walk? I tend to try and stay inside of the tree lines and take a few slow steps then look around.

Cheers, VFX

i like to hike in. go past where most people go. move slow through the bush. read the sign. sit and glass. make a stalk. call and listen. sit on a vantage point. find the sign. set up an ambush.
    it all doesn’t really work for me. but it’s fun as hell.

My first post i stated that road hunting with my boys was the most enjoyable but when I want some meat my style is backpacking up top and pushing the sub alpine timber.
    Walking on the top of a ridge or mountain with a rifle over my shoulder is just pure freedom to me.
    Nothing to think about and thinking about nothing.
    Hunting the promised land

For BB I usually stay close to the truck because most bears are too heavy to drag far. When I go for deer I look for areas without a lot of hunters driving around and start looking for game trails and sign. I learned early on that my feet can go places your Ford can't. As for blinds, stands, and the like, I can't stay awake....

I`m getting old enough that the back packing in and out thing is over. I do have spots where I know the deer are going to be..old logging leases, crossings, like that. I just cruise out and sit for a while. Hunting the same place for 20 years has it`s advantages. 2 deer every year, like clockwork. Main thing is get the hell out of bed. I don`t hunt with some guys anymore because I have to wake them up, bring them coffee and wait till they finish their daily dump. By then it`s been full daylight for an hour. No point then. I hunt alone 99.9% of the time. I never get skunked. Ever. Out of the 3 guys I would hunt with last year none of them could get up and go. I got a big dry doe and 2 days later, a beauty 4x5 buck. Buddies ate tags.
    Last edited by sawmill; 03-03-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

I`m getting old enough that the back packing in and out thing is over.

At 66, going to be 67 this year, I had the same opinion until I shared my opinion with my doctor. He told me that if I wanted to hunt the back country and be in the position I may have to pack something out of the bush to keep myself in good shape. I may not be able to carry out the same load I did in my forties but, as he told me, it won't take long to ascertain how much I can carry on my back now. Very seldom do I hunt with another person and always carry enough to quarter and pack out an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by shortrange View Post
    For BB I usually stay close to the truck because most bears are too heavy to drag far. When I go for deer I look for areas without a lot of hunters driving around and start looking for game trails and sign. I learned early on that my feet can go places your Ford can't. As for blinds, stands, and the like, I can't stay awake....
    Why drag? Cut off the meat and other necessary portions, and carry out...not like there's much meat on a bear other than on the 4 quarters and back straps...

My hunting partner and I do mostly road hunting. With that being said I also enjoy parking the truck and going for a walk up the mountain in the bush. I really have a hard time sitting in one spot for a long time. I keep thinking while I am sitting there waiting for my dream buck..which is any buck at this point..lol...I could be missing a buck walking down the road while I sit here freezing my butt off!
    I really enjoy driving around eating snacks chatting and hoping to see an animal.
    This year I think I am going to try sitting in a blind while by hunting partner drives around. You never know until you try!
    One of my favorite parts about hunting is sitting around the fire drinking a cold Luckey talking about the day you just had.

As a Newbie to hunting, i have road hunted a bit and also hiked a bit, but neither with great success. Mostly this depends who I hunt with, as i haven't gone on my own yet.

Now i have enjoyed a few afternoons of glassing from a ridge etc after hiking away from the road. For me just being outside is a good start, slowly building up my real world hunting knowledge, but i guess as I am still younger the hike still appeals to me, When I shoot my first deer etc the hike back to the truck might not appeal so much but that is a good problem to have.

I have always taken my rifle for long walks in the woods. I don’t like to walk much, but for some reason I seem to enjoy it a hell of a lot more when I’m carrying a loaded 7mm some time between sept 10 and dec 15.

I do road hunt for grouse on my on my way to and from work though.