Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of hunter are you?

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

On the island it’s get out and still hunt the timber. On the mainland I like creeping along ridges, glassing etc. When it comes to spring bear hunting my favorite way to hunt is lean up against a log or stump in the sun and glass/nap.

I love calling black bears in clear cuts. Sit on the edge with a rabbit distress call and pull them in. I also like to quad from cut to cut and hike in. Then I usually sit on the outskirts of the cut and glass for a while

I drive farther in than most guys will quad, then hike past that. 4x4ing is a major part of hunting for me, and hunting has always been a big part of wheeling. A day where I push the truck, then push my legs is a good day in my opinion.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I love hiking up into the sub alpine for mulies. Most of my earlier years hunting
    was a combination of hiking along canyons, ridges, logging slashes, and very
    slowly road hunting. Now because of my age and health situation, and especially
    since my wife accompanies me, most of my deer hunting is either road hunting,
    or checking out small slashes close to road access.

There’s nothing that tops cruising down an old logging road, silently on a mountain bike and getting a shot at the odd grouse out soaking up the late afternoon sun.

Hike in hunting for me is always my favourite and most productive....I like to road hunt once in a while when I'm tired from hiking but that's about it..I like to hike into clear cuts and glass the most, usually go a ways off the road..

Really enjoyed backpacking into sub alpine for mulies when I was younger, and still wish I could.
    For the most part, I do day hikes, all day with a packed lunch, gone before sunrise, back after sunset nowdays,
    for elk and deer.
    Wish I had a quad, ad I would like to get into some areas where I then could get out and day hunt as above.
    Driving is alright, but I still prefer to hit the forests over the cutblocks.
    I don't waste much time in open blocks just waiting all day, like I did whine I was younger, and then one day an ex-father in law told me to "get in there and hunt them"!
    Made all the difference in the world.

https://youtu.be/M9gFRXw5-kI
    this about sums it up I think

I'm a fan of setting up camp for a week or longer. Calling moose in the morning, exploring on the quad or hiking for the rest of the day. Definitely having a fire for lunch or cooking up some sausages and eggs on the trail. Spend the whole day away from camp and come back after dark and have a good feast. I put quite a bit of effort into planning my meals for hunting trips so it isn't too much work while I'm out there.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Still hunting thick stands of old timber, rattling and calling late season rut.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.