Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What kind of hunter are you?

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

high country addict...

RC

-- I am a lover of the still hunt, mule deer fanatic -- from youth up with the best mule deer hunters up the North Thompson way from kammy to Lil Fort.
    I was taught by the best still hunter of mule deer up Barriere way decades ago and know certain area pretty good.
    -- Still hunter doesn't sit still, he creeps around the ridges and ponds, slowly and quietly as possible into the wind.
    Jel Still hunting is something that takes time and effort and you need to be in good physical condition you need all day and you need to move all day and be in shape
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-24-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Walking slowly and looking around quietly lil fast movement

Not sure what kind of hunter I am anymore, this year will be the year to re find myself and start a new hunting chapter.
    After many great years and a lot of fun with my hunting partner, my dad, cancer took him way too early.
    The thought of getting out there just doesn't feel the same, but I refuse to give up.

Hey Mike, sorry to hear about your loss. You have to carry on like yer saying, the memories will stay. I like your zeal, I refuse to give up.
    Jel -- refuse to give up Mike I like your zeal -- it's cool

Hey mike 69- sorry man. My style of hunting is about the same thing--- spending as much time with Dad as I can. He's going strong at 80- in the truck road hunting! I used to hate it cause I see a mountain and I still want to climb it . I'm 50

But that's not the point of hunting for me. Don't get me wrong I'm out to get our animal, but really I'm out to enjoy time and have an adventure.

my son is 9 now and has started to come with us on short trips- so I'm a lot like Island Wanderer. Drive drive drive the take short walks in and out.

2 years ago we went into Tuchodi for 10 days.... Lots of game on the drive to the launch , but 2 hours in @ Deaddog We saw a total of 1 rabbit.... And it was still the best trip we ever had. Me, dad, my brother and my brother in law... Can't get better.

imo everyone needs to get 2 B.B. tags and fill em jus for the anti hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by tko View Post
    Why dictate your hunt because of antis? Really they won’t even realize you filled two bear tags

Want results stand up and speak against their actions in a manner people will respect your stance and educate the non hunting public. Disspell the myths antis use with facts and honesty about how hunters conduct them selves along with the reason we hunt

Sure I will be out hunting black bear and recommend it to anyone because I enjoy it. As for the number of tags one fills that is their personal choice if it’s 0 or 2. No lack of black bears so nothing with tagging out if a hunter chooses

Want to stick it to antis you can do it year round. Antis gain power by being loud engaging the public anyway possible. You want to hurt them engage the public and represent hunters in a positive manner beating antis at their own game

Support standing against antis but pick your battles

i like to do alot of preseason scouting. And then sitting and waiting in areas that look promising

Quote Originally Posted by tko View Post
    I think there is a real exaggeration on these pages of the numbers and influence of "anti-hunters."

For the most part the public is ambivalent to hunting unless something negative comes up like some dildo shooting a lady's dog.

And besides how would any anti-hunters even know you bought the tags or shot a bear?
    Last edited by MichelD; 03-01-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Hunting style?

I like to drive to the very end of the road as far as there is a road to take me, park, camp and hike into the timber and hopefully into the alpine from there.

I won't turn down an animal spotted from the vehicle though.

But I do all kinds of hunting. Last fall I looked for whitetails in an area I'd never been to before east of Vernon and just drove on a back road until I saw lots of tracks in the snow then walked down old logging roads checking out the cutblocks and adjacent forested areas. Found a permanent elevated blind with bait piles too, so I must have stumbled onto a decent spot.