Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of hunter are you?

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Favorite is finding locations where whitetails feed and ambushing them when they come in to the fields before sundown - most challenging.

Calling moose - you make a connection with the animal - intriguing

Tracking big game through a fresh snowfall - you can feel it in your blood.

I love glassing and then hauling ass. And sneaking in to an animal. However it's nice to roadhunt to cover ground and find out where animals are hanging - then bunker down and do the evening sit where you are seeing activity.

---- I hunt road hunting more now, I got two rich buddy's that don't mind driving me around. Clearcuts and back roads I know from years of hunting so we see deer.
    I don't hunt by myself anymore, and most everyone road hunts now so I don't expect some person never been in the bush hunting to to do it right away without getting really mixed up.
    ---- So my buds want to go I'll ride shoot gun. This area is part of the Bonaparte mule deer migration, the rut and snow depth starts in October up high.
    Jel -- I hunt reg 3 Kamloops for mules and mooses -- from Kammy to Barriere either side of the North Thompson is good mules and fair moose.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-12-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Reg 3-28 is my fave

Been hunting since '65 in BC so by now we have our favourite areas all mapped out depending if we hunt moose or deer.

Been hunting with the same partner LT (LOVER 308 ) since '67.

We use the vehicles to look for the most promising spots then resort to foot power.

In heavy cover we use orange flagging.

Personally I can't sit still & have never called a game animal.

When hunting with Eve we use radios & one of us always has a sat phone & a SPOT.
    Our road hunting entails scouting for new areas & looking for fresh animal movements.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Given my druthers, Horseback with a pack horse or 2. AWESOME
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

opurtunistic..
    i hunt for best odds.

weather thats sitting on the edge of a game reserve..driving to cover ground..sitting in a blind or sleeping in my tent...it all can work

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Given my druthers, Horseback with a pack horse or 2. AWESOME
    That goes without saying! I've used a horse a few times and agree it's the ultimate way to go,
    especially if the horse is trained for it. Just too expensive and time consuming to keep and train
    horses in the Fraser Valley. Unlike when I was young when there was little traffic and the road
    shoulders were graveled which made for great horse riding, and endurance conditioning, it's just
    not safe or good for horse and rider now. Few things about people riding along roadways get me
    more angry then seeing someone galloping their horse on concrete or asphalt surfaces.

I like road hunting, but only for black bear, and only in the spring. In the past, did quite a bit of stillhunting for moose, and lots of stand hunting for deer on deer trails with some stillhunting or tracking mixed in, whenever conditions were right. More recently, it's hitting the thick bush for elk with a bugle and a few reed calls.

My absolute favorite though, is alpine hunting in remote locations for elk, moose, caribou, sheep or goats. Haven't had a chance to do much of it so far. The ultimate would be to go in with a string of well-trained horses. I have three good ones right now, so it's just a matter of time.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

I like to go on extended trips, setting up a comfortable camp and hunting. Usually ride the atv to an area and then hunt on foot. In some instances I use my ladder stand [mule deer] or my Viper climber. There is nothing like the sun rising on an elk hunt as you slip into an area you know they like to settle in for the night. My last bull elk was taken at 30 feet.

I'm an aspiring hunter