Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of hunter are you?

What kind of hunter are you?

I was wondering what kind style of hunting do you enjoy most. No judging here.

I enjoy a good road hunt exploring with my boys, having some food every now and then in cool spots maybe some target shooting, a small camp fire ,a little bit of 4x4 action and if we're lucky maybe see an animal or two to get the juices flowing.
    Don't get me wrong , I still climb mountains but I do enjoy a good old road hunt the best.
    Hunting the promised land

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: What kind of hunter are you?

Most of my Mule deer hunting is day hunts, drive to a spot park and walk a few Kilometres in and out, I like to do lots of glassing from certain spots I know are productive
    I can spend the night in the same area as its big enough to do so, if there's a few guys around I just walk farther......but mainly hunt week days so that eliminates a lot of people.

In the Kootenays we do drive and glass a lot for elk mixed with some early morning hikes well before light into certain feeding areas.

When the kids were little we would do a little more driving but since my older brother and I had kids the same age we would still go to our same Mule deer spots but I would look after the kids this morning while he went hunting on his own and then switch in the afternoon.......but most times it was more of a camping hiking trip than hunting.......always fun to pull over make a hot lunch while the little monsters got into some sort of trouble !
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 02-12-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

My son and I drive logging roads slowly with frequent stops to glass. We do numerous 15-20 minute walks throughout the day. I like to discuss the map with my son so he has an idea about where we are. Also, we play a game where we call out bear poops when we see them first. Lol, sometimes my son pokes them with a stick and then he tells me how fresh it is.

We always have the same things: large supply of various chewing gum, lots of sandwiches, pepperoni and cheese, low sodium v8 and cranberry juice, chocolate bars.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

My early days of hunting there was lots of driving roads, spending time with dad or buddies. Also the odd hunt where we would set up in a farm field and wait until dark for deer or elk to come out.
    Over the past 9-10 years I’ve got more into back pack hunting with some good friends. We do a riverboat trip each fall. Set up a nice camp and lots of hiking off the river. It’s also lead to a couple of goat hunts as well now that I have more gear. Being in the mountains looking for goats is amazing. I haven’t got one yet, but will be trying again this year.
    I still enjoy getting out for the odd road hunt looking for moose or grouse. Now it’s with my family and often includes getting a load of firewood for the upcoming winter.

Drive around find a spot may go for a short walk.
    I am not really into sitting in a spot for to long as I get uncomfortable pretty fast.
    Usually just walk for about 10 mins sit for about 5 to 20 mins then do it again.
    Rode hunting in some areas we do other areas we get out and walk.
    I don't really like to walk up steep hills to much anymore no I am not kidding myself never liked steep hills.
    I don't mind rolling hill country.
    If its flat terrain then that is the best for me.
    I just enjoy the scenery the best if I see a animal and get the chance at shooting a animal then that is just a added bonus to my trip.
    Its more about relaxing for me. I would say I definitely am not a serious hunter. If I don't get a animal I do not get upset at all.
    Last year I just shot a grouse and I was happy with that.
    Saw some great country and had some good memories. Went to the most beautiful lake and camped there overnight woke up in the middle of the night went outside and the lake had mist over the lake now that was so relaxing and awesome to me.
    Usually with hunting we just wing it sometimes we make plans to go for a long walk in a certain area we get there and to windy or to foggy so you just wing it and change plans.
    That is why I like hunting with my boyfriend we just do what we want and when we want.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Calling in thick timber is hard to beat. You notice every little sound or flash of movement because you know your making noise that will draw them in. Waiting to see if they sneak in like a ghost or come in crashing ready to go

Secound choice would be long range spot and stalk

For me, i love packing in for 2-3 days and camping out. Favorite spots are above the treeline.

We sound a lot alike Dino.

I like it all but for me creeping along in some steep old-growth fir country looking for a decent Blacktail buck on a stormy day is where it’s at.

Ironically, it’s a long ways from where I’m at these days...

Solo timber hunting is one of my favorites..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    We sound a lot alike Dino.

I like it all but for me creeping along in some steep old-growth fir country looking for a decent Blacktail buck on a stormy day is where it’s at.

Ironically, it’s a long ways from where I’m at these days...
    I have done a lot of that style of hunting. I remember hunting Blacktail on the island for years. Hunting timber in the Pouring rain and using an sks with open sights............ I don't miss that style at all.lol
    Hunting the promised land