Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bush Buggy- Tracker (Vitata) or even a Kia Sportage?

Re: Bush Buggy- Tracker (Vitata) or even a Kia Sportage?

Buck hunter- I can tell you'd be fun around the fire. Thanks- great input

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Have you tried a shot of Wynn's for the sticky lifters? Worked like magic in one of my Chevy 350s, haven't had to use it again for many years now, and no lifter ticking ever since. Not sure if the Vitaras have hydraulic lifters though?
    yes I have. Helped but didn’t eliminate it. They are hydraulic in the 2.5L. Obviously caused from dirty oil/deposits from last owner. Like I said every oil change / flush/ addition of additives it gets better. Still no morning ticking with the -3 weather, so looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by floden View Post
    This might be a historic reply nedarb2- thanks. This is great info on what I'll need to do
    no problem. I love working on mine and like I said have done everything they are known to ever need so I know all the “common” repairs. Let me know if you need a hand with anything down the road. Start off with a good base and you’ll be good to go. I would stick to an 02+ grand vitara. You will want the 2.5L engine especially if going with larger than stock tires.

We have had a ‘92 Tracker for years mainly to tow behind the Winnie.
    Its only 2wd but amazing what it can do
    Would love a 4wd version or a Jeep but the budget is limited and dealers don’t take guns in trade...
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..

Quote Originally Posted by nedarb2 View Post
    yes I have. Helped but didn’t eliminate it. They are hydraulic in the 2.5L. Obviously caused from dirty oil/deposits from last owner. Like I said every oil change / flush/ addition of additives it gets better. Still no morning ticking with the -3 weather, so looking good!
    Similar to the V8's in the Grand Cherokees in the early to mid 2000's. My son picked one up for cheap that had a blown head gasket. He had the heads redone, but didn't replace or clean the hydraulic lifters. The vehicle ran great but had a VERY noticeable tick to it. It would start up fine, instant and strong acceleration, and a compression test revealed excellent psi on all cylinders. Other than the "tick", it was a good runner. My son found a young mom who was looking for a vehicle and he gave her this Cherokee. She was grateful for the vehicle, but her "mechanical" guy friend was convinced the engine had dropped a valve or something and that the engine was no good and needed to be replaced. He wouldn't listen to us when we told him that the compression test passed with flying colors and that these vehicles have a history of noisy lifters, and that a cleaning or lifter replacement was all that was needed. He kept insisting they needed to replace the engine, and that is what they did by installing a used, unknown engine. Could've saved some cash and worry if they would have listened.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by nedarb2 View Post
    Add i litre of Auto trans fluid in the oil that will clean out the crap and unstick the hyd lifters ! RJ

Thanks Nedarb2!

I had a ‘94 sidekick for a couple years, it was great but I did have issues finding parts sometimes. They’re getting older and hard to come by in decent shape, I found if the part I needed wasn’t an aftermarket add on it would be in short supply and pricey. There’s also lots of guys that hord parts for them which cuts down on supply as well. Like I said, it was great for hunting and would go anywhere, but I think my next hunting buggy will be a Jeep just because of the availability of parts. Just my two cents though

92 tracker - Paid $1800 for it 4 years ago, since then added 2" body, 2" spacer lift, 31" tires, 8,000 lb. winch and tow bar. Great little Tow-behind. Amazing where you can squeak this little beast into.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161022_180647 cmprssd.jpg  

As far as aftermarket support and finding parts .... Jeep TJ all the way. I have never seen more aftermarket support for a vehicle than the TJ. It's insane. You can literally buy ANYTHING for them.
    Roomier than a side kick or samurai and definitely more capable with their flexy suspension and solid axles front and rear.

Not great fuel mileage, nor power, but at least the 4.0 straight six is one incredibly tough and long lasting engine.