Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Buggy- Tracker (Vitata) or even a Kia Sportage?

Bush Buggy- Tracker (Vitara) or even a Kia Sportage?

Hi Guys,
    This question is...Is a Kia Sportage comparabel to the GMC Tracker?

backstory- I had a 91 Hardtop GMC Tracker and i loved it ( same as the Asuna Sunrunner, Samurai, etc). Ive sold it because the body repairs were way beyond my duct taping skills.

But- I loved that thing! it went everywhere. Since you cant legally use quads for the morning hunt where we go, I like these street legal mini SUVs better.

Heres what I need in a hunting Rig
    • Tow Behind size
    • I only need a 2 door
    • Same size as the Tracker so I can get into tight spots
    • Easy to find parts, easy to repair at "Zippermouth Creek Roadside Gas and Diner"!

I was looking for another Tracker and someone suggested the Kia Sportage ( ??? )

Anyone out there actually use a Sportage the same way we see Trackers, Vitara's and Sammys get used??
    Love to hear your thoughts, ( good, bad, opinions, PICS!!)
    thanks!
    Last edited by floden; 02-11-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Typo in title

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bush Buggy- Tracker (Vitata) or even a Kia Sportage?

I think a few people have used Sportage's like the other vehicles you mention, but I have no idea how they hold up or handle. But the general size, build and design of it suggests that is could be a decent run about. In the more hardcore offroad crowd, some people where swapping in solid axle components from old toyotas and such, seeing as how the Kia has an independent boxed frame. So, the vehicle may have some merit.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Not even close - a KIA sprtage is a CAR - POOR ground clearance - no LOW gearing - tires too Small ! Etc Etc jmo RJ

No aftermarket parts .Stick to Suzuki (GMC,Chevy).Lots of cheep parts ,very reliable vehicle to start with.

I’m into older suzuki LJ series, owned a number of them over the years. I am building a pickup version, know where there is a very nice soft top one for sale in Kamloops. I used to own it and built it. Message me if interested.
    Last edited by ruby; 02-11-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Kia- its a unibody. its a car. it has all wheel drive not actual 4 wheel drive

Vitara- better, its got a frame and an actual 4 wheel drive system with low range. But I don't think they have any locker at all or posi trac or capability to add, I could be wrong there, but they're not quite as capable as the first gen Sidekicks/Trackers.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I'll sell you my TJ ... perfect tow behind size. Selectable air Lockers front and rear. Will go anywhere

I picked up a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara a few years back, after a good week of cleaning it was like new! But, there was a bit of engine noise when you reved the heck out of it. I drove it for about 6 months until one morning when I started it, it had a different noise? I shut it off real fast, got some help and pushed it into my car tent. Spent the next week watching YouTube vid's on how to replace the timing chain and gears, chain guides and chain tensionor, etc. All the parts were under 250, and when done the car purred! We gave the car too our Grand Son for graduation last fall and it hasn't skipped a beat! All for under 2 grand. And it has power everything too, and in the bush on rough roads and trails it's 10 times more comfortable than my Jeep Liberty! Most of these small motors are called a "Interference motor", which means if it skips a tooth on the timing gears the valves go into the pistons, creating one very expensive bloody mess! So before you buy a small car or truck listen to the motor, carefully! Check the engine oil, if it's real thick the owner has added lots of STP or simular to quieten it down, look else where! Good Luck!

the original sportage is body on frame and has a 2 speed transfer case...

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I'll sell you my TJ ... perfect tow behind size. Selectable air Lockers front and rear. Will go anywhere
    Ive had Trackers - Samarais and a Jeep TJ . I like my TJ BEST ! jmo RJ