Thread: Freezer/Cooler...Moose/Elk?

Freezer/Cooler...Moose/Elk?

I haven't hunted for a long time as I've had no time cause of work etc.. I work in the woods in central BC every year until around the middle of October. I have a camp with gen power etc. and I'm thinking of also mixing in some hunting with work this year. Spike Moose and 6 point Elk are open in the area I'm at for at least a month or bit more while I'm there. I've seen both around where I am so if I do harvest an animal it will be one or the other.
    I'd like to make sure I have the right supplies with me at camp in case I do harvest one. I am approximately 10 hrs away from home where I am working and where I stay for most of the season but I do come back home from time to time when I need to. So if I do harvest an animal I will need to keep it at camp until I take it home or take it to a more local processor etc. Best case scenario would probably be to take it as soon as possible to a closer processor to where my camp is then take it home at the end of the season after they hang it for awhile and process it etc.

So my question is; what would be the best kind of storage device to use for the animal after gutting, quartering etc? Is it possible to use a large deep freeze but convert the thermostat/compressor to use it as a very cold cooler instead of a freezer? I've read it isn't a great idea to freeze, then thaw, then re freeze again. Is that true? What do you guys recommend doing in this situation?

I have large sea cans storage containers on sight so I would make sure I gut the animal, quarter it etc out in the field to avoid bringing too much scent back to camp, then keep it in hopefully a large cooler in the sea can until I take it to the processor or home etc.. There are a lot of bears in the area so I don't want to keep it at camp any longer than necessary. I can also load the cooler/freezer onto a trailer at camp with a smaller portable generator to take it to either a processor or home etc..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Freezer/Cooler...Moose/Elk?

I think the freezer is a bad idea, even if you switched it to a cooler. With a warm large quartered animal in there, they are small with no circulation.

I have a hunting buddy that has a 18 ft enclosed trailer that he uses to haul his gear. When he gets something , the front of the trailer is then converted with 4 in thick foam into a meat hanging locker. He has a small refer unit from a truck that he then runs off a genny for a few hour a day depending on the outside temps. I have seen him hanging meat for 8 day's before he pack's up to leave. You c-can would probably work for a similiar setup.

check out the Coolbot that tricks an AC unit to blow down to 2c. A guy could make a insulated cooler that is portable. You could hang it for a few days, then process it and freeze it. Might want a couple big Yeti coolers to transport the frozen packages home 10 hours
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

If you kill an animal take it to a butcher!...Get it cut and wrapped and then its quick frozen for you...Buy a freezer then put it in it ..Problem solved....Dennis

I have a cooler made from commercial freezer panels I’m wanting to sell if your interested.

Thank you all for your insight and ideas. I'll make some phone calls up to the area to see where the closest processor would be in relation to where my camp is. That way I'll know if I will have to keep the animal at camp for awhile or not. Then I'll know if I'll have to make some kind of a hanging cooler or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    I have a cooler made from commercial freezer panels I’m wanting to sell if your interested.
    Rayne can you please pm me the details? If it's complete with compressor and all parts etc, and price. Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Freezer/Cooler...Moose/Elk?

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    If you kill an animal take it to a butcher!...Get it cut and wrapped and then its quick frozen for you...Buy a freezer then put it in it ..Problem solved....Dennis
    THIS.... Could happen to you trois hundo wby! Dear Sir: with being at work and all, I'd rather just drop it off to the butcher's, under your unique circumstances. In fact this may very well transpire and could well with each a Moose and Elk. It's 2018 - Someone's got facilities and services within fair enough range no? Set the meat up the way you like it and keep it safe until you are ready to depart?

I wish you a great year afield! All I'm really adding here is cold storage facilities - use 'em if you can see your way clear to. Then you don' have to worry about the meat whilst you're taking care of business.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 04-10-2018 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Go for two - Elk and Moose if you can!