Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bow for around $500-$600

Best bow for around $500-$600

Thinking about getting my first bow, and have a bunch of Cabela's gift cards to use up.

Im thinking of getting a bow package from Cabela's for around $500-$600, and have a few options. I would want to make sure they fit and feel ok obviously, but as I'm new to bows, I don't really know much about brands, so would welcome your input.

These are the options:

- Bear Archery Cruzer G2 $450
    - Diamond Archery Edge SB-1 $480
    - Quest Drive $580
    - PSE Singer Extreme $550
    - Cabelas Influence (apparently made by Bowtech) $450 down from $600

Based on the half arm span measure, my draw length would be 30". Im 6'3" and 220lb

Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best bow for around $500-$600

The whole wingspan and calculations thereof to give you draw length is a bit flawed and a guideline at best.
    Do you have a store nearby or a club that does drop-ins where archers are? Or are you planning on visiting Cabelas or just ordering online? If you are visiting you might want to call ahead and see if there's an experienced "tech" who will find out for certain.
    Can't comment on the bows and gear as the wheelie bow is not my thing, has been, but no longer...... what I do know is you should get solid guidance and whatever you choose, get it set up for you, and in the real world.
    For what it's worth, I don't think you'll be far off with your calculations unless you have long monkey arms or something! Just make sure if you're new to this, you get it right and a good foundation to set you off right.
    Good luck

I've been asked this question a few times, the PSE is a good starter combo, my brother bought the bear a while ago and he seems to like it. You can't really go wrong at this price range, things get more cut and dry as you spend more money when you get into the the more technical bows.

Being the area you live .... check out Big Game Archery in Abbotsford... they’ll fit ya up good .

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Being the area you live .... check out Big Game Archery in Abbotsford... they’ll fit ya up good .
    Not the best place to spend Cabelas gift cards though, eh?

[QUOTE=OutsyderBC;1982639]Not the best place to spend Cabelas gift cards though, eh?[/QUOTE

You do have a point... still worth checking out Big Game.

Good points - thanks guys.

Would any any of these bows be better for someone who is taller, or does that not matter much?

Best for what? Depends on what you want to do in archery, hunting, target, or a good allrounder? A bow that is setup to fit you (draw length) is the best bow for you, second is that it suites your archery style. You will also need to buy arrows, mechanical release, qwiver of some sort, case etc...An experienced archer, technician as in Big Game Archery will be your best asset.

Mainly looking for something that I will be able to hunt with. I have a great place to shoot in my backyard (at least out to 35 yards, so plan to shoot quite a bit. I work from home most of the time, so taking a break from the computer to shoot a few arrows would be fun.

As its mu first now, really just want something reasonable that will do the job and fit me well.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrip View Post
    Best for what? Depends on what you want to do in archery, hunting, target, or a good allrounder? A bow that is setup to fit you (draw length) is the best bow for you, second is that it suites your archery style. You will also need to buy arrows, mechanical release, qwiver of some sort, case etc...An experienced archer, technician as in Big Game Archery will be your best asset.

Ferenc , save your Cabelas gift cards for a summit tree stand , Get properly fitted by Wayne at Big Game Archery for a proper start .
    Cheers !
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC