Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Late Bison season

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: Late Bison season

$10,000....holy crap!!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    $10,000....holy crap!!
    It was very cold so the whiskey bill was a little on the high side . Too bad you didn't connect but i am sure you learnt a lot, good luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinG View Post
    We went for 2 weeks and came home empty... will never enter that draw again. Had MUCH better luck in the late October draw a few years ago.
    My wife and I had the oct 15-31 draw last year, we hunted hard with zero luck.
    Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do (Stick with a rifle. Let cupid shoot the arrows lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    $10,000....holy crap!!
    I have a friend in Dawson Creek who will sell you one for a third of that price. You can even shoot it, make up a good story. And you can "camp" at the George Dawson Inn.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

No need to spend $10000 when you can buy a fully guided hunt in zone B for much less
    Train hard....hunt easy

We paid $5.3k for 4 sleds, trailer and 6ft toboggans for 2 weeks (good deal). $2.3k in fuel (coming from the lower mainland and for sleds on hunting grounds). $1.8k for accommodation. $600 for trespass fee. $600 in food. Plus what ever each guy needed misc on their own. Adds up quick for that winter hunt. We can cut that in half if for an October hunt.

Thank you for your honesty in prices.do you have any in the field photos? Still only LEH species hunt I havnt accomplished..but those prices are high..spread accross 4 guys. .similar to a 100 mile fly in moose hunt with 4 guys..
    Thank you.
    Steven

Stayed at the ranch and at horse camp.
    Used snowmobiles (and quad occasionally - not much snow at the beginning of the hunt)
    Spent a solid 10 days. Saw lots of elk on the south facing slopes and moose on the north facing.
    Spent quite a bit of time in the area west of Horse Camp.
    I guess after being shot at for almost 4 months they were pretty spooked.
    we were there for the last part of October, hunting was tough. Of the five or so groups hunting the valley I think we were the only group to even see bison.

If you do the late one again buy used sleds in the summer as soon as you get the draw and sell it all after. You won't lose as much as it costs to rent. Sorry to hear about the luck. Atleast the memories are there
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

We paid $5.3k for 4 sleds, trailer and 6ft toboggans for 2 weeks (good deal). $2.3k in fuel (coming from the lower mainland and for sleds on hunting grounds). $1.8k for accommodation. $600 for trespass fee. $600 in food. Plus what ever each guy needed misc on their own. Adds up quick for that winter hunt. We can cut that in half if for an October hunt.
    Been there on 5 bull bison hunts. Harvested four 3 to 5 yr old bulls, great eating meat. We start on Vancouver Island and its exactly 1500 KM to where we camp. We bring 2 quads and 2 sleds normally so we cover all conditions but if theres lots of snow one year we brought 3 sleds. We have a wall tent and wood stove, we drive to camp in area B in the p/up and from there use the appropriate machines. Pack all gas and food and whatever we need for comforts with us. Most expensive of the 5 trips that ranged from 4 days to 11 days was $2300 total ........... food, restaurant meals, gas propane, tags, diesel fuel, you name it, fully self contained. Last trip was a while back and resulted in this HBC story :

www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75920-So-Proud-Sons-1st-Bull-Bison-video-amp-pic-heavy&highlight=bull+bison

We don't go anymore though my grandson is 13 and got a bull moose at 11 and if he wants a bison we might just put in again. So cost wise it depends on what equip you have and the knowledge of the Bison and the area as to where they'll be and where they go when the goin gets tough.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom