Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How not to get lost when hunting around Kamloops for mule deer

Re: How not to get lost when hunting around Kamloops for mule deer

from kammy hills yu can see timmy many places..or pulp mill steam...cant go wrong...unless ya totally drunk like some truckers--hunters few years back..wasnt able to walk,,driving not so bad.i,m not so sure about shooting..i dont think deer was any danger....well happy campers anyways..

-- One thing i suggest is don't minimize the idea that I ain't going to get lost cuz I can see up in those hills where I am.
    This is minimizing -- not taking getting lost seriously enuff. You can get lost in no time flat if you take a wrong direction.
    Compass yes of course, we must take a compass and know how to use it b4 we go in the ridges and ponds.
    -- don't stand too close to heavy metal objects, like a truck when taking compass readings the needle will point to the truck. Stand a ways away about 25 feet or so.
    More later
    Jello -- know your direction your going

-- When you get to the spot where your buddy goes to and he or she parks the truck and says -- This is where we park and we go from and come back to.
    -- you get out and walk aways from the truck and look at your compass. See where north is, now, ask buddy what the plan is?
    --- If buddy says, we're going up that little ridge here and back aways the circle around to the right, he points to the ridge and the direction.

- Now look at your compass, and as your near the truck about 25 feet away, see where the ridge is from the truck, that he pointed out, don't use right or left, use west or east. If the ridge runs south from the truck then go south, if he said then to the right, that would be what? If your going straight south then going right would be what compass direction? It would be west. So you head in on the ridge from the truck south then after you hit the ridge turning you go west.
    - left or right don't mean squat, when you turn around. That's why you always use proper compass directions for determining your direction.
    Jel forget left and right, use directions from your compass, north, south, east and west---- no matter which way your standing the compass directions will be correct.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-09-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: THE KING IS GONE but he's not forgotten is this the story of johnny rotten

Jell king of compass...never make mistake..no gps..old way..best way..never say hay i,m lost..in the hay..no way..as long i see a lake.i can find a timmy..double...double...roll up tu rim to win..jell win a honda,,,driving to a sun set..but never got lost,,..

Lmao ! :d rj

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I use the new Jellycompassiphonemaptracker.........Ive never been lost once but of course I haven't left the truck in 3 years
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

-- If your King of the road hunters and use your truck as a living room and cover lots of roads then not much of an issue to worry about except the truck stalls and no heater, you might have to put a coat on.
    If your a road hunter and park one day with a partner and decide to explore a spot on foot real qwick for a change, it could turn into a night mare -- if you get mixed up in the bush.
    Jel -- no one to help you -- turning dark out, getting cold, cougars and bears coming out creeping around. Real scarey and lonely cold and wind chill yer losing your mind.

--- Years ago a hunter wood chip the tree with his axe to mark a trail, now it woodnt be cool chipping bark off trees.
    - I recommend colored tape, you can hang a piece on a limb about eye high, bright yellow or blue etc every so many metres, as long as you can see the next tape from the last one. Hangin about foot long or so. Get the kind that fade into oblivion over the years or the one that lasts forever.
    Jel -- one way of getting in and getting out -- you can take the tape off on the way back or leave it for the next time.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-14-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Tape that degrade after a couple years or so if yah want to

jel roll of outhause paper is better than plastic...it wont ruin kammy hills..way to the timmy..

Personally prefer the term. "Turned Around".

Usually have a good sense of direction I do . . .

But a couple of years back on a overcast day West of Chartrand Lake, I decided to cut through the bush to check out a lake I had seen on the map. Bushwhacked back to the lake tromping around a mass of wind falls and stopped paying attention to where I was going. I was finding a ton of buck sign - scrapes, rubs and beds and was in the moment of the hunt.

Now a great man I know once told me, "Never trust your memory". He was not referring to this incident, but memory in general can shift - perception vs reality. I SWEAR the Lake I was checking out had a North/South orientation so I based my travel out on that perception. In reality the lake had more of a East/South West orientation . . . so off I headed, in the wrong direction. Fortunately, my spidey sense said this was not right after a few minutes, and realized I WAS TURNED AROUND -- Fired up the iPhone's GPS map and realized my error. Marked all of the sign on the iPhones map for future reference and reversed my direction.

Have yet to get back to that spot, but it was deep cover and the bucks were using it heavily. Don't think the Elephant Hill fire made it into that spot, but might check next year.

Cheers, VFX
    Last edited by VFX_man; 02-14-2018 at 12:07 PM.