Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spear hunting

Spear hunting

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spear hunting

I think it is unfortunate that this guy had to videotape himself behaving like a complete buffoon and then post it on the internet.
    I also think that if I ever feel the need to spear a critter (bucket list) I would just go ahead and do it. Obviously without the buffoonery or the evidence on social media.

I agree with you. He's an idiot. But this is just one more notch added to the belt that is getting tighter around hunters necks

Social media is the bane of our existence. All the new TV shows...... all that crap.
    Back in the day we did what we did. we were competitive at " big buck weigh ins" and local contests .... as well as Boone and Crockett etc.....

Now? Today... We have people doing legal things that we have been doing for hundreds of years but posting them for all the city slickers to see.... the same city slicker that was completely ignorant not 20 years ago.....
    Spearing? WTF? Sorry, I don't get it.... People tell me a 243 is totally capable to kill a moose then go spear a bear.... What does that look like to these now all seeing vegan city slickers?
    how much Poaching has gone on so people can make a TV show? Right now without batting an eye I can think of three shows....

I am all for all legal hunting, and yes I guess that can include spear hunting...... All I am saying is Social media will be the death of this all..... Call it "hiding under a rock" if you like but rubbing it in the face of the anti hunter will kill us....
    sit down and think about how many voters are City Slickers,,,, how many people would be in favour of us... then show them you spearing a bear.... by by... Hunting like a normal person is gone.....

Vent over, seatbelt on..... Skin armour thickened......
    Shit was better back in the day....

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Social media is the bane of our existence. All the new TV shows...... all that crap.
    Back in the day we did what we did. we were competitive at " big buck weigh ins" and local contests .... as well as Boone and Crockett etc.....

Now? Today... We have people doing legal things that we have been doing for hundreds of years but posting them for all the city slickers to see.... the same city slicker that was completely ignorant not 20 years ago.....
    Spearing? WTF? Sorry, I don't get it.... People tell me a 243 is totally capable to kill a moose then go spear a bear.... What does that look like to these now all seeing vegan city slickers?
    how much Poaching has gone on so people can make a TV show? Right now without batting an eye I can think of three shows....

I am all for all legal hunting, and yes I guess that can include spear hunting...... All I am saying is Social media will be the death of this all..... Call it "hiding under a rock" if you like but rubbing it in the face of the anti hunter will kill us....
    sit down and think about how many voters are City Slickers,,,, how many people would be in favour of us... then show them you spearing a bear.... by by... Hunting like a normal person is gone.....

Vent over, seatbelt on..... Skin armour thickened......
    Shit was better back in the day....
    I was saying something very similar to this the other day on another HBC thread. I think it is extremely important now more then ever that we limit our online exposure. We gotta keep things pg where people see it. My face book for instance no blood/guts videos of animals bleeding out etc. I have only had the account for a year so not to many pics. But like I said before even though I have a warning posted on my hunting album I’ve still received negative crap about it. Those people have been “removed” from my life. Let’s keep posting but keep it to our personal groups. This I believe is doing our part. You can’t stop everyone else. And try to educate people who are ignorant. Cheers S.S.

^^^ I agree with those above. It isn't important that hunters flex their legal undertakings on social media. Social media represents a governance model of social judgement and opinion. The non hunter will dictate our future. One bad moment, one bad image does a lot of harm in that opinion. And for those that feel 'proud' of what you do and your heritage, I'm fine with that, my confusion is, why is it important to you to post it online. Hunting is about so many things other than the kill, but all we post are short images of the end of life. I'd rather see images about the quality of a life.

The guy is an idiot. Just be glad he didn't have YOUR weapon of choice in his hand.

A spear is a traditional hunting tool like a longbow or recurve. Each one has its own limitations and is an effective method of killing in well-practiced hands.
    Some people are more effective with a spear in hand than some people are with a large caliber rifle.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Ya, spears have been used for centuries, but there is a reason the regs regulate what class of bow you are allowed to use on what type of game. Why aren't you allowed to hunt bears with 22's?

Think spears should be legal, get rid of the legal hunting methods table in the regs.

Even without posting to social media, the aniti's would have a hay-day with the propaganda if spears were legal in BC.

For how many guys would actually use a spear, rather than think it is cool, not worth it.

BAD: another individual causing PR issues for the hunting community. Like it or not, we are painted with the same brush when incidents like these pop up, rightly or wrongly.

GOOD: exposed a loop hole in the regs that was closed, and probably prompted the rest of the provinces and territories to review their regs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Ya, spears have been used for centuries, but there is a reason the regs regulate what class of bow you are allowed to use on what type of game. Why aren't you allowed to hunt bears with 22's?

Think spears should be legal, get rid of the legal hunting methods table in the regs.

Even without posting to social media, the aniti's would have a hay-day with the propaganda if spears were legal in BC.

For how many guys would actually use a spear, rather than think it is cool, not worth it.
    Spears ARE legal to hunt with in BC.... The "legal hunting method table" is merely a guideline, not the be-all-end-all listing. The Wildlife Act is the overriding governance as to what you can and can't do when you hunt in BC. And it outlines the things that are specifically illegal to hunt with, it does NOT specifically state the things that are legal to hunt with....
    Air rifles, rocks, sling shots, sticks, spears, all legal to use to hunt.

And for those of us that HAVE used a spear to hunt, it isn't about "thinking its cool". Its about knowing your own limits and challenging yourself. I could use ANY caliber or cartridge and fill 2 black bear tags a year. Easily. I could use a 17 Mach2 and have zero issues putting some dicks in the dirt.
    Instead, I use archery tackle, or a spear. And that presents a lot more HUNT than simply poking a hole in an animals brain pan with a rifle.

If you are one of those folks who can't fill a tag, or gets too excited to be able to place a shot with your 338 LoudenBoomerMagnum I can see how the challenge would be lost on you. For some folks though, merely just filling a tag has lost its excitement and appeal, and they need to do more to increase the satisfaction they feel. For some people that means pitting wits against an old old animal that has seen it all and lived through it, and for some it means making it more difficult for themselves.