Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SOSA 67th Annual Sheep Count

Re: SOSA 67th Annual Sheep Count

Stone Sheep Steve;
    Thanks for the reply sir and for the additional photos.

Last year was the first count I'd missed in something close to 30 years, but since it's more or less our back yard where we're counting I think I can comment a wee bit.

The snow was really hard this year, so even though it's deep, the hooves weren't cutting in too, too deep so it isn't as bad as some years.

My good wife and I go for a 3 km walk at 5:00 every morning and this year we've heard way less coyotes than usual, so likely a bit less predator pressure on them. We also had a wolf pack working across Shuttleworth last winter and they had to have an effect on who hung around where, you know?

I was happy to see as many mulies as we did - it's way, way down from some years in the '90's as we were talking about, but its good to know they're not all gone. The local herd here in the summer was so small this year I was worried what I'd see on the count.

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours as we head into spring sir. If you're ever chasing anything down this way and you need a meat pole for skinning, etc, just give me a shout. We're sorta set up for that activity here.

Dwayne

bearatti;
    It was my pleasure to have you along on our count team Jelger.

When we were looking at the group of mulies with the little bedded buck and the group of ewes and lambs, the other "elder statesman" and I were chatting and we both agreed it was so good to have members of the next shift there.

For me as I've aged I've come to understand that mentoring the next shift in whatever activity we're passionate about is one of the most lasting things we can do. Works on several levels actually if one thinks about it and as an old guy - I do!

All the best to you as we head into the spring bearatti.

Dwayne

Thanks BC30cal!

Nice work fellas!! Wish I could have made it.

Quote Originally Posted by BC30cal View Post
    Stone Sheep Steve;
    Thanks for the reply sir and for the additional photos.

Last year was the first count I'd missed in something close to 30 years, but since it's more or less our back yard where we're counting I think I can comment a wee bit.

The snow was really hard this year, so even though it's deep, the hooves weren't cutting in too, too deep so it isn't as bad as some years.

My good wife and I go for a 3 km walk at 5:00 every morning and this year we've heard way less coyotes than usual, so likely a bit less predator pressure on them. We also had a wolf pack working across Shuttleworth last winter and they had to have an effect on who hung around where, you know?

I was happy to see as many mulies as we did - it's way, way down from some years in the '90's as we were talking about, but its good to know they're not all gone. The local herd here in the summer was so small this year I was worried what I'd see on the count.

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours as we head into spring sir. If you're ever chasing anything down this way and you need a meat pole for skinning, etc, just give me a shout. We're sorta set up for that activity here.

Dwayne
    Thanks for the local long term insight, Dwayne.

I was sure glad to see the snowpack melt hard for those two days with the warm weather then pounded down with the heavy rain.....before it froze hard this past week. Could have been sketchy for the critters. Might still be for those wintering higher in elevation??

I did see a pile of mulies on the Saddle on the drive home. So many in fact, that I told myself to keep my eyes on the road. Most likey they have bailed downhill to avoid the crusty snow?

Hopefully, I'll get one of the south OK sheep draw this year and will be able to take you up on your generous offer of that meat pole! Fingers are crossed.

Thanks again for your 'Southern' OK hospitality!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Its the 67th Annual Sheep count , yes it will be going on next year. Always on the 2nd Sunday in February .
    Gonna put it in the calendar for next year. I forgot it was this early in the year and was already committed for the weekend.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir