Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite or most productive way to hunt whitetails.

Re: Favourite or most productive way to hunt whitetails.

Thick nasty bush low land bush in a tree stand rut hunt rattling/doe bleat

If I can see 50yards it’s not thick enough

Nothing beats nov.10 and later following tracks in the snow. Second choice sitting on does during the same time, preferably far enough away that I can glass and size up the boys and top up my coffee regularly. Third choice still hunting in the rain same time. Yet to get a mature buck prior to nov so I leave em alone and chase mulies till then...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I find clearings with fresh sign, or trails with fresh sign, and sit sit, sit, but still hunting is fun too...I kill em from sept til November, have yet to get one in December with bow but that time will come..

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuzz View Post
    Nothing like hunting whitetails with hounds, did so every year for the last 40 and now it has been banned(Ontario) Still will go but the thrill of a buck flying thru the bush is gone. Just doesn't seem right to shoot one standing still
    Dogs eh?! That would be good too.

Can't beat when the blow up on you in the bush, or when they come out across the field in 3rd gear.....

I have walls full of whitetail racks, and looking back at them, they were all on the run. I don't think I could shoot one standing still either