Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smithers Elk LEH Draw

Re: Smithers Elk LEH Draw

Nogg

In the 6-04 elk zone it’s a major idiot issue and in most parts of BC that I have seen landowners tighten up permission it’s the same story of increasing abuse by those calling themselves hunters. Majority of the places I have been given permission over the years in BC the owner does not hunt any more or never did.

Stories from landowners range from trespassing to someone shooting their breeding bull in the balls with a 22. Many of these stories come from owners who still give me permission but view most hunters as idiots and won’t allow hunters outside of my crew. People think landowners are making up stories so they can say no and with the ones I know that is definitely not the case. I have been on properties set up for waterfowl or deer waiting for first light only to have trucks stop and spotlight the field

Ethics are not what they were in the past and a big part of why landowners are tight about giving permission to straight up hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I have had permission from landowners in many parts of BC and it is getting tougher. This is do to the number of idiots trespassing, poaching, and dangerous shooting by idiots. These days in many areas unless you have someone they know that recommends you your screwed

This is not a matter of creating an access program it’s a matter of getting idiots dealt with and hunters improving their reputation
    I’d managed to get permission in a few different places around also, all of them have me back. I have a hard time giving permission to people I don’t know, and you’re right, it cause people are idiots. What people think isn’t a big deal a lot of the time is a big deal if you’re trying to farm(try the front leg bone of a moose in your baler). But I still think an organized access program, with collaboration from the cattleman’s and farmers institutes could make things a lot easier for hunters who were willing to put in a bit of time to take a workshop or something..

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    This was done in Saskatchewan many many years ago.
    A huge number of landowners decided they were going to post their lands, keep hunters off, and create private hunting reserves for their own use. After many complaints, the government reacted. What they legislated was that you could NOT hunt your own property if it was posted No Hunting. They went further with also making the crop insurance null and void for any who kept the signs up.
    The vast majority of the signs came down overnight.
    Those that replaced them in some instances stated "Written Permission Only".

That strategy worked, and to some extent it might work here as well.
    But as long as you have the kind of Idiots the Wild One is referring to causing friction, even without signs, it is easy enough to simply say No and imply you have already given permission to others (whether true or not).

Cheers,
    Nog
    well personally I wouldn’t want to see it go that far. I don’t give permission to very many people, and I dont have that much land. But the number of people who want to hunt my little bit is astounding. The number of people that want to hunt my dad’s property’s is ridiculous and the number of trespassers is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    All the people I know that actually got the draw failed to get permission. Any success stories?
    Saw a picture of one Bull harvested. Nice 6 point. He had no problem gaining permission. But they knew the land owners. Land owners probably wouldnt give permission to out of towners. Just my thought