Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smithers Elk LEH Draw

Smithers Elk LEH Draw

Hi,

What do you think are the chances of the proposed LEH elk draw for the Smithers area east of the Bulkley River. I think it is in an agricultural area.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smithers Elk LEH Draw

Word has been circulating about it for many years now. Had a wildlife biologist tell me this fall there is a 80% chance of it happening. If it does happen sounds like it will be LEH private land only.

Several other changes might happen especially in regards to moose

It would be nice to see. Elk almost in my back yard. Very fun
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Private land hunt. There are a couple Farmers that will allow you to hunt and more than a couple that bitch about the damage but dont like hunting. its a start but quite honestly a joke. Why private land? Open a damn LEH or 6 point season and let us harvest some. Crown land areas Ive hunted for Deer and Moose are over run by Elk! Good luck drawing. Im betting odds will be upwards of 100:1

Better know someone who owns property in the area because very few let people they don’t know on their land. Too many idiots trespassing for deer pissed of landowners. Most have banned everyone except the odd person they know

luck for me I have permission already on a property the elk visit often

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Private land hunt. There are a couple Farmers that will allow you to hunt and more than a couple that bitch about the damage but dont like hunting. its a start but quite honestly a joke. Why private land? Open a damn LEH or 6 point season and let us harvest some. Crown land areas Ive hunted for Deer and Moose are over run by Elk! Good luck drawing. Im betting odds will be upwards of 100:1
    Like you said...it is a start.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Probably because they don't know the exact numbers yet. I fully understand why farmers, myself included, don't just allow anyone to hunt on their land. About 20 years ago a guy shot one of our breeding bulls thinking it was a moose.

Farmers have been complaining for the last 5 years. And a very limited hunt wont help the ones that allow hunters. There is absolutly no reason thete cant be a Bow hunt 1st to 9th of Sept and a rifle hunt 10th to 20th. 6 point bulls. You cant go wrong! If theres not many 6 point elk. Not many will be shot. If there is lots of 6 points.... Right on! either way, Zero risk

Good point.

Looking forward to upcoming year though. Snow fall has made shed hunting a little difficult

Going to be the first tough winter for the Elk. But Im thinking they will thrive next couple years and population through the Roof