Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smithers Elk LEH Draw

Re: Smithers Elk LEH Draw

Heard a story about a single someone shit kicking those elk this year. Heard and story are the key words there.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Heard a story about a single someone shit kicking those elk this year. Heard and story are the key words there.
    I know for a fact some were killed how many I don’t know

Man I am still obsessed with Smithers. I had a job basically lined up with CN.. They chose to postpone the hiring for the position, now that I know there's elk around Smithers I am even more upset. Could have been living the dream! Oh well, one more winter in the prairies. Maybe Smithers next year!
    My experience getting permission from farmers has been nothing but pleasant. Most just want to be treated with respect and don't want people driving anything on their land.

safety.guts,garbage,fire hazard...
    idiots are the hazard...

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Man I am still obsessed with Smithers. I had a job basically lined up with CN.. They chose to postpone the hiring for the position, now that I know there's elk around Smithers I am even more upset. Could have been living the dream! Oh well, one more winter in the prairies. Maybe Smithers next year!
    My experience getting permission from farmers has been nothing but pleasant. Most just want to be treated with respect and don't want people driving anything on their land.
    Careful what you wish for...CN sucks. And the elk hunt is very limited. Move here for many reasons, but the railway and elk are not major draws.

All the people I know that actually got the draw failed to get permission. Any success stories?

It would be nice if there was a way to encourage land owners to grant permission(I’m as guilty as any). Making it harder to be eligible for crop insurance (wildlife related), or hay stack fence subsidies if you don’t allow hunters maybe. Didn’t the BCWF have a land owner relation thing going for a while, a short course or something?

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    All the people I know that actually got the draw failed to get permission. Any success stories?
    Like I said early in this thread don’t apply for the draw if you don’t know someone. I can tell you in 6-04 landowners are so sick of trespassing and poaching they won’t give permission if they don’t know you

Only person I knew personally with the draw missed do to being an excited rookie but had fun lol.

I know 1 person being charged for shooting an elk on property without permission but don’t know if they had a draw. Another elk was shot during archery draw with a rifle and that landowner did not know it was an archery tag. That landowner will be even more selective on who hunts his land now

You hear it’s tough to get permission now well I know a few landowners who got even more selective after idiots this year

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    It would be nice if there was a way to encourage land owners to grant permission(I’m as guilty as any). Making it harder to be eligible for crop insurance (wildlife related), or hay stack fence subsidies if you don’t allow hunters maybe. Didn’t the BCWF have a land owner relation thing going for a while, a short course or something?

I have had permission from landowners in many parts of BC and it is getting tougher. This is do to the number of idiots trespassing, poaching, and dangerous shooting by idiots. These days in many areas unless you have someone they know that recommends you your screwed

This is not a matter of creating an access program it’s a matter of getting idiots dealt with and hunters improving their reputation

Arrow Re: Smithers Elk LEH Draw

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    It would be nice if there was a way to encourage land owners to grant permission(I’m as guilty as any). Making it harder to be eligible for crop insurance (wildlife related), or hay stack fence subsidies if you don’t allow hunters maybe...
    This was done in Saskatchewan many many years ago.
    A huge number of landowners decided they were going to post their lands, keep hunters off, and create private hunting reserves for their own use. After many complaints, the government reacted. What they legislated was that you could NOT hunt your own property if it was posted No Hunting. They went further with also making the crop insurance null and void for any who kept the signs up.
    The vast majority of the signs came down overnight.
    Those that replaced them in some instances stated "Written Permission Only".

That strategy worked, and to some extent it might work here as well.
    But as long as you have the kind of Idiots the Wild One is referring to causing friction, even without signs, it is easy enough to simply say No and imply you have already given permission to others (whether true or not).

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me