Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eye dominance and shooting a bow?

Re: Eye dominance and shooting a bow?

This is all good stuff. Take it all in try it all and go with what is best for you. We are all individuals and if there is one thing that I have learned, with regards to archery, everyone has thir own method that works.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I'm left handed but right eye dominant,when I first was learning to shoot because I was left handed I was told this is how a left handed person mounts a gun, on the right side. Well trying to shoot a 22 with iron sights I kept trying to get it so I could look down the barrel with my right eye until someone said hey, try the gun on the other side, EUREKA! Been shooting right handed over 50yrs. now. Always played sports right handed, throw a ball right handed, hit right, but in ping pong or tennis had to serve right handed but could switch hands, so no back hand. Thank god that I could shot righty, being left rifles are more expensive.

This being a bow thread, I do shoot my Excailpur Crossbow righty.

I’m left eye dominant, write left handed but shoot right handed just fine. 3d targets don’t seem to be an issue at all but small dots on targets at 50yrd are a bit blurry but it’s starting to get better, almost like I’m becoming right eye dominant. One thing I’ve always liked about shooting this way is I can look through a spotting scope with my left eye for hours and if I go to my rifle scope my right eye is fresh and not fuzzy or hazy. Works for me but what Evers feels best for you. just get a bow and hit a local 3D course and you’ll be hooked!!

Try out both left and right handed bows and see what your body tells you is most comfortable

Same,left eye dominant shoot right. I found I have to tell myself to keep my left eye closed after the shot or I pull the shot a bit.

Right handed, been shooting guns on the right side with my right eye my whole shooting life, 20+ years. Until I looked into archery I had no idea about eye dominance. Turns out I'm left eye dominant, so I shot a right handed, and a left handed bow side by side in the Cabela's shooting range. Immediately I felt more comfortable with the lefty bow! I ordered my first bow in left handed, and will continue to shoot a bow left handed. I will however continue to shoot my guns on the right side since my mind/body was able to overcome and adapt to doing it for so long. Plus who wants to sell and re-buy all their guns in a different hand configuration, right?