Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Whats your must have and must do for sheep/goat hunts???

Re: Whats your must have and must do for sheep/goat hunts???

Quote Originally Posted by weed782 View Post
    Gold Bond! An I pod and golf ball sized speaker. Kinda nice to have some tunes in the evening. A novel for each guy. Switch books when done. Leave another at the drop off, (if flying), in case you get weathered in.
    Must do - a bird bath every 3-4 days in the nearest creek, lake or pond. Game and attitude changer.

Or put a few thousand books on your iPhone, and ditch the camera, novels, speaker....

For me, salt/pepper, montreal steak spice, and onion flakes. A couple ounces of olive oil (makes a great additive to a bland meal), iPhone, solar charger, gold bond ball dust, and baby wipes. Incidentally, dried out baby wipes will work better in the rain that toilet paper......
    Inflatable pillow is a must, as is some Sea to Summit soap leaves, both the shampoo and the laundry leaves. Clean boxers to put on every other day will prevent a bad case of goat balls.

I used to carry a sea to summit shower bag as well, which was basically a 10l dry bag with a shower head on it, and some fine paracord. Found I hardly ever used it though, as I don't get back to camp before full dark, and I'm not into having a shower at that point.

Polysporin, does in a pinch for chapped lips n arse...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I like to bring 2 small barbques sauce for sheep ribs.
    Speaking about first aid..agree with the super glue..and steri" strip. .a small vial of sterile prep insures they stay stuck..
    I always recomend 2 x 81 MG ASA..as long as your not allergic...with all signs of cardiac issues..sweating, chest pain. .squeezing..sob..maybe dizzy..
    Sat.phone or new text to satelight..for emergencies or updated pilot pick up.SPOT also works.

Steven

Id have to say our Siltarp. Thinking back, I couldn't imagine what it would of been like without it. The storm shelter days on the mountain, the cook hut or even the numerous times it gave us drinking water in rain storms. Amazed me how much water you can actually collect off one of them in a downpour.
    I'm that guy!!!

Great info guys think everyone has picked up something, One thing I like to do is wrap my fuel canisters with Duct Tape don't think I've ever came home if any left always use it somewhere.

A good hunting partner or two! I definitely recommend taking your kids, parents or a sibling along. Finding someone that will put up with sore muscles, lack of sleep and heavy packs or helping someone a little older out carrying their essentials - nothing like it.

Quote Originally Posted by weed782 View Post
    Gold Bond! An I pod and golf ball sized speaker. Kinda nice to have some tunes in the evening. A novel for each guy. Switch books when done. Leave another at the drop off, (if flying), in case you get weathered in.
    Must do - a bird bath every 3-4 days in the nearest creek, lake or pond. Game and attitude changer.

X2 and with a small solar charger - we had music all day while glassing and hiking - huge booster on long shitty days. Will never leave it at home . The books are a must too.
    Train hard....hunt easy

A bit late to the party... But a small cribbage board and some whiskey. I've spent many a night in the mountains playing cribb with friends. It's a good way to pass the time on those socked in days.
    ig: mmckimmi

I don't go into the hills without a knife proof , fish filleting glove. Cold, wet, tired and digging around a slippery critter with a super sharp knife...I cut myself badly once and it turned into a long night. I wear it on my off hand when butchering. The gloves are 15-20$ and don't weight much. I chuck them in boiling water every year to clean them up at the end of the season...cheap, easy peace of mind for me