Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your must have and must do for sheep/goat hunts???

Whats your must have and must do for sheep/goat hunts???

Hey guys

Was thinking other then the basic gear what's your must have specialty item you take on your backpack trips and your must does.

Mine is for sure Chap stick and Cutting Toe nails before the trip nothing worse then jamming long toe nails in your Boots coming down the mountain.

Have a great day be interesting to see what you guys are packing in.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whats your must have and must do for sheep/goat hunts???

Salt n pepper for the oil pump n filter on a stick over the fire.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Moleskin for blisters and hot spots on your feet..
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

A new “must have” for me are steri strips, after stabbing my havalon through my shin while skinning a goat, on day 4 of a 10 day guided hunt. Had no means of closing up the gash’s, bandaids just soaked up and became useless, then the infection, it was a bad time. I feel steri strips would have helped a ton.

Can’t seem to think of any “must do’s”. Myself, I guess mental preparation is the biggest one.

[QUOTE=decker9;1981252]A new “must have” for me are steri strips, after stabbing my havalon through my shin while skinning a goat"

I like the Steri Strips will add to my pack for sure.

Anyone ever used a Hammond Game Getterseem pretty neat I'm not typically a fan of firing any type of firearm unless its at my target game. but a great option for harvesting game birds while on a hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post

Anyone ever used a Hammond Game Getterseem pretty neat I'm not typically a fan of firing any type of firearm unless its at my target game. but a great option for harvesting game birds while on a hunt.
    I have one and have taken a couple of blue grouse with it while hunting bighorn at Spences. Shot both birds from about 20m away. They are accurate enough to take body shots but I wouldnt head or neck shoot them.

That being said I have never packed it on a back pack hunt. For one its extra weight and then you have to deal with the bird. How are you cooking it and or preparing it. I could see taking a few birds if you had a camp set up where you had a grill and or frying pan and cooking stuff like spices and oil.

When Im back packing its one cooking pot for boiling water and thats it. Plus in most places up high there is no wood to make a fire or skewer the bird. That being said we once got a ptarmigan by accident and we cut the meat up into thin strips and boiled it with some spices and added it to our mountain house meals. Its was a tasty alternative, but I would rather have the spices for backstrap then bird up in the mountains. But thats just me.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Hiking poles are huge. Being at the top of your physical and mental game is a must. Maybe a small bottle of single malt as well.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

Crocs. After a long day in hiking boots they sure feel good and they weigh almost nothing.

Personally, not a fan of the Hammond thing. I'd sooner carry a slingshot than convert my hunting rifle into a plinker.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Not a must have, but a Helinox chair is pretty darn nice to have after a long day.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Half dozen good horses!