Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Re: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Spotted Pony is trolling a wee bit me thinks
    No SpottedPony isn’t trolling, I’m simply trying to get a feel for the messaging being put out in this thread. Reading back at threads from the past it strikes me that the contributors on this forum are a disgruntled group with little to agree on. In the past the Liberals were on the outs with many of the posters on this site while the NDP and AJ Weaver were held in high regard. Now after only a few short months of NDP/Weaver leadership the tide has changed and many asking for a return of the Liberals who sold out the resident meat hunters in favour of giving more to the guides. The NDP and Weaver haven’t really given much away. All they did was cancel the grizzly hunt as the Liberals were already proposing to partially do anyway. That didn’t really take too much meat out of the provincial food supply, the only real loss I can see from that cancelled hunt is the monetary loss to the commercial hunters. It’s a pretty goofy closure anyways with our indeginouse community still able to hunt the bears. I guess that would have to be called a racial closure of the hunt.You can’t blame the NDP and Weaver for keeping the grizzly hunt open to our native people, that’s a decision made by Mr Trudeau.
    As for the numbers posted for the number of hunters in region 6, the question to ask ourselves does it really show what’s going on or is it really just a whitewashed portrayal to disregard the truth. Any good accountant can tell you that the books can be doctored to put forth the numbers that best suit your wishes. When you read about the implementation of LEH seasons, the outright closure of other areas and the declining moose population province wide it’s really hard to believe that hunters are still as evenly spread out in region 6 or for that matter anywhere in the province as they were in the 1970’s.
    To me it seems there are many unanswered questions and simply saying everything is still the same can not be the true message but moreso a numerical game coverup.

Does anyone actually use meat for ceremonial purposes anymore???? Is that even a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    Does anyone actually use meat for ceremonial purposes anymore???? Is that even a thing?
    Some still do and moose nose is a dish involved at times

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedPony View Post
    No SpottedPony isn’t trolling, I’m simply trying to get a feel for the messaging being put out in this thread. Reading back at threads from the past it strikes me that the contributors on this forum are a disgruntled group with little to agree on. In the past the Liberals were on the outs with many of the posters on this site while the NDP and AJ Weaver were held in high regard. Now after only a few short months of NDP/Weaver leadership the tide has changed and many asking for a return of the Liberals who sold out the resident meat hunters in favour of giving more to the guides. The NDP and Weaver haven’t really given much away. All they did was cancel the grizzly hunt as the Liberals were already proposing to partially do anyway. That didn’t really take too much meat out of the provincial food supply, the only real loss I can see from that cancelled hunt is the monetary loss to the commercial hunters. It’s a pretty goofy closure anyways with our indeginouse community still able to hunt the bears. I guess that would have to be called a racial closure of the hunt.You can’t blame the NDP and Weaver for keeping the grizzly hunt open to our native people, that’s a decision made by Mr Trudeau.
    As for the numbers posted for the number of hunters in region 6, the question to ask ourselves does it really show what’s going on or is it really just a whitewashed portrayal to disregard the truth. Any good accountant can tell you that the books can be doctored to put forth the numbers that best suit your wishes. When you read about the implementation of LEH seasons, the outright closure of other areas and the declining moose population province wide it’s really hard to believe that hunters are still as evenly spread out in region 6 or for that matter anywhere in the province as they were in the 1970’s.
    To me it seems there are many unanswered questions and simply saying everything is still the same can not be the true message but moreso a numerical game coverup.

Have to agree that hunter numbers are only one small part of the equation. Many other factors changed over that time frame as well

This is a poor incomplete argument against changes to northern 6.

With my lack of knowledge of the area and moose populations there I cannot stand for or against the changes. That said those who oppose the changes need a better argument with facts beyond hunter numbers

Personally I believe there could be better options then the proposed changes though

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    Yes it is actually. After 15 years of living in Hazelton I have seen many FN guys who shoot 15-20 every fall and winter and sell them to White Guy in the bar. This finances the booze for the ceremony. They cause the season to be shut down to a week up there because the Government "Seriously under estimated the impact of the Native harvest" That was in 1999. Like a guy (FN) who worked in the sawmill with me who made $80,000 a year running the Link line who came to work bragging how he shot 3 pregnant cows on the weekend. In March. They each had twin calves inside. Aparantly moose fetus is a delicacy.
    Stewards of the land.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Yes it is actually. After 15 years of living in Hazelton I have seen many FN guys who shoot 15-20 every fall and winter and sell them to White Guy in the bar. This finances the booze for the ceremony. They cause the season to be shut down to a week up there because the Government "Seriously under estimated the impact of the Native harvest" That was in 1999. Like a guy (FN) who worked in the sawmill with me who made $80,000 a year running the Link line who came to work bragging how he shot 3 pregnant cows on the weekend. In March. They each had twin calves inside. Aparantly moose fetus is a delicacy.
    Stewards of the land.
    No doubt some FNs are in this category and some areas it’s a big issue. Unfortunately the ones that are bad can be to the extreme

Ceremony purpose this category does not fit into

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    The MUs you reference have seen hunter numbers go from an average of 93/MU to 105/MU. You're telling us that you can notice the difference of 12 hunters per 2 month long season in a whole MU?

I don't know where u get your numbers. I am implying telling you what I notice. Please note I said "anecdotal" evidence....Why do you always feel the need to prove people wrong? Honestly I do think we are on the same team...at least I would hope so.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    I always enjoy seeing actual numbers like these. and ratios like 80:100 Bull to Cow ratios.

Numbers have been going down but may seem more crowded when areas have gone from a 90 days season to 30 days in some parts of region 6.
    Those numbers are meaningless....I hunted in Region 6 and nobody but my immediate family knew we were there. How many thousands are in the same category?

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    I don't know where u get your numbers. I am implying telling you what I notice. Please note I said "anecdotal" evidence....Why do you always feel the need to prove people wrong? Honestly I do think we are on the same team...at least I would hope so.
    made them up, blowing smoke, take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Stewards of the land.
    The real sad thing is, these individuals would know that such an action would cause their ancestors, who cared so much for wildlife and the land, to roll in their graves..and they obviously don't care..