Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Re: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

Resident hunters are being screwed big time on the moose issue. To be clear, this is not a conservation issue or an issue of the FN's not being able to kill their section 35 moose in North Skeena. It is about the commercial trophy hunters getting their way.

They have used the FN's to push their commercial $$$ agenda at the expense of BC resident licensed hunters trying to feed their families. Should be embarrassed ... but of course they're not $$$.

The bureaucrats involved in this should all be fired for breach of trust. The have been playing a game for a few years now and pretending their was a "consultation process" to achieve their end result. When the Jade/Boulder area went to the tri palm/10 point regulation (trophy hunt) a few years ago their agenda was exposed ... now they have just proven how shallow they really are, and how they disrespect BC's resident licensed hunters. Time they were gone!

The AHTE is a bureaucratic waste of time. Contact the Minister and your MLA and demand they explain why they are supporting non-resident trophy hunting in North Skeena at the expense of BC resident "sustenance" hunters. Licensed resident hunters should have priority over commercial $$$ trophy hunting.
    The first cuts should be the trophy hunters.....I like the way you think.

Option #1

• Meeting Objective #1:
      • This option aligns with the adjacent WMUs in the Peace region, so it should help alleviate some increased hunter pressure from areas of the Province with more restrictive moose season regulations
      • This option should help alleviate some of the potential waterbed effect that may result from proposed regulation changes in the south.
      • The option will reduce harvest, while not limiting hunting opportunity.

• Meeting Objective #2:
      • This option excludes licensed hunters from taking middle age-class bull moose in the northern portion of the Skeena Region for most of the season, providing a class of bulls for First Nations to exclusively harvest.

Option #2

• Meeting Objective #1:
      • This option creates restriction in the ‘frontcountry’ which aligns with the regulations in the Peace region, and may discourage the increased hunter pressure resulting from more restrictive moose season regulations in other parts of the Province.
      • This option should help alleviate some of the potential waterbed effect due to regulation changes in the south.
      • The option will reduce harvest, while not limiting hunting opportunity.

Meeting Objective #2: This option excludes licensed hunters from taking middle age-class bull moose in the ‘frontcountry’ portion of the northern portion of the Skeena Region where the primary competition with First Nations is occurring. In addition the SOFT-10 maintains a class of bulls for First Nations to exclusively harvest within their high cultural use areas.
    similar reasoning to the original 400 m road closures nightmare but likely easier to enforce
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The proposed changes to the moose hunting regulations presented here are to address land use conflict, be proactive in addressing increased hunter pressure from increased restrictions in other parts of the Region and Province, and are not focused on an immediate conservation concern. Of note, First Nations are reporting lower numbers of moose in the region.

There it is in black and white, kids. Apparently, I have moved up North for no reason now.

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    The proposed changes to the moose hunting regulations presented here are to address land use conflict, be proactive in addressing increased hunter pressure from increased restrictions in other parts of the Region and Province, and are not focused on an immediate conservation concern. Of note, First Nations are reporting lower numbers of moose in the region.

There it is in black and white, kids. Apparently, I have moved up North for no reason now.
    Welcome to NW BC. Not sure how you could say no reason...You have a GOS goat open late right in your back yard. Todagin bowhunting is really close to you...and then there is the fishing! Lots of other good reasons to be happy with your move.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Welcome to NW BC. Not sure how you could say no reason...You have a GOS goat open late right in your back yard. Todagin bowhunting is really close to you...and then there is the fishing! Lots of other good reasons to be happy with your move.
    Okay, sorry I was being a bit dramatic. You are right. It still gets me cranky though.......

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    Looking at the broader picture of BC, the amending of the vehicle weight restriction in the Muskwa Kechika is a huge one and has been a long time coming. I have been personally involved in that one and am pretty excited
    What are the proposed amendments to the weight restriction?

It’s sad knowing these changes will make very little difference to the population, and only regulates “some people”. After this winter, moose will be even more slim pickings, in all my life in 6-04, this is the most snow Iv ever seen here, and still coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    What are the proposed amendments to the weight restriction?
    This proposal:

• replaces the term “ATV” with “Registered Off Road Vehicle”, which allows for the use of Utility Terrain Vehicles and purpose built off-road trailers
    • increases the maximum weight limit from 500 kg to 750 kg
    • Reduces the allowable distance from the midline of the road/trail from 400m to 10m in all instances where 400m is permitted
    • allows for operators of registered Off Road Vehicles to go beyond 10m distance from the midline of the designated road/trail to bypass impassable features or to access an established camp

off topic, but still important
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    It’s sad knowing these changes will make very little difference to the population, and only regulates “some people”. After this winter, moose will be even more slim pickings, in all my life in 6-04, this is the most snow Iv ever seen here, and still coming down.
    In southern 6 I would agree the bull only season/bull only LEH is not the issue with moose

Was just starting to see a slight rebound in moose do to mild winters but think this winter is going to knock them right back down

I actually dont mind option 2 that much. My issue with option two is the high cultral use areas, if those are removed I think this would be fair. It would open up prime rut hunting along the roadways creating more oppurtunities to hunt while also limiting the the harvest. It also does not change the backcountry areas for those who fly or horseback in to hunt where there is significantly less pressure.

Option 1 is complete rubbish and should not even be considered.

If they want to limit our moose hunting further they need to first restrict guide outfitters and First Nation groups as well.