Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Re: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    Have heard the same thing. It was a request to the Tahltan 5 or 6 years ago when the Klappan season was first shortened, but they just ignore it. The bands don't care how many moose they take - cows, calves, bulls, doesn't matter.

They just want resident hunters out. Period.
    Well, as I see it. The Guides want us out, The FNs want us out. Ministry could care less about Resident hunters. 3 out of 4 groups are happy. 3 out of 4 groups sat around a table and came up with the proposals

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Well, all I know is that Bull to Cow Ratios are through the roof. Even if pressure is high Residents can only harvest Bulls. And If you take a gander at Google Maps youll see that there really isnt much access. So Residents are not only just harvesting Bulls, They will only harvest Moose so far off the beaten path.

Let's make decisions based on science not opinions.
    I recall someone posting the Bull to cow ratios on the Klappan after the blockades went up. Ridiculously high from what I can recall....and that was on two subsequent counts. The local don't like competition???
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I recall someone posting the Bull to cow ratios on the Klappan after the blockades went up. Ridiculously high from what I can recall....and that was on two subsequent counts. The local don't like competition???
    80:100 is what I was told by the Skeena bio. That was right after the first blockades went up.

Locals definitely don't like competition for moose, which is funny because they hunt them in the winter on sleds & by vehicle in the spring as soon as the road opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    80:100 is what I was told by the Skeena bio. That was right after the first blockades went up.

Locals definitely don't like competition for moose, which is funny because they hunt them in the winter on sleds & by vehicle in the spring as soon as the road opens up.
    Is it possible to have a 80:100 bull/cow ratio on a hunted population of moose with a licensed season for bulls only?
    With numbers like that it would be suspect that either very few bulls are being harvested or an almost equal number of cows are being killed.
    I wonder if all the counts were carried out using the same methods to ensure an accurate comparison.
    What’s the overall moose population done, gone up, gone down or held steady?
    Those would be some interesting questions to ask that bio.

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedPony View Post
    Is it possible to have a 80:100 bull/cow ratio on a hunted population of moose with a licensed season for bulls only?
    With numbers like that it would be suspect that either very few bulls are being harvested or an almost equal number of cows are being killed.
    I wonder if all the counts were carried out using the same methods to ensure an accurate comparison.
    These changes have ZERO to do with population/ratios/conservation. Its all social management.

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedPony View Post
    Access to the Klappan is ONE ROAD in a vast, vast area. Might be a few fly in lakes but harvest would be very minimal in the big picture.

As two-feet said, it's social management.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    I disagree. The amount of pressure in this neck of the woods has been going up steadily. It's not a complete Joke, it is reality. Whether is is Outfitter or FN driven is a moot point IMHO. The increased pressure is very very noticeable. Times are changing as we all now.
    Not really. Region 6:

Average moose hunters 1970s = 6498
    Average moose hunters 1980s = 5146
    Average moose hunters 1990s = 5092
    Average moose hunters 2000s = 4296

Region 6 moose hunter numbers have been going steadily downward.

Reality and perception are often two different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Not really. Region 6:

Average moose hunters 1970s = 6498
    Average moose hunters 1980s = 5146
    Average moose hunters 1990s = 5092
    Average moose hunters 2000s = 4296

Region 6 moose hunter numbers have been going steadily downward.

Reality and perception are often two different things.
    That doesn’t really make sense, unless the numbers you are using are based on all of Region 6.
    Then again if your numbers are for the entire region and you factor in all the limited hunts available in parts of the region it is possible that hunters have shifted to the areas that are still open to moose hunters that do not have to draw a tag.
    It still seems odd that the bull/cow ratio in Skeena North is 80:100 unless the area being inventoried has a large number of cow moose being killed as well as bulls.
    The numbers don’t make sense unless the entire moose population is being hunted and if that’s the case shouldn’t we as concerned individuals be asking the bio’s in that region what the overall inventory is and if the population is dropping, what is going on?
    The other possibility could be that even thow overall hunter numbers have dropped by one third, as your numbers show, is it a reality that hunter efficiency has increased due to increased access and technology in the time period you are quoting the hunter numbers from?
    From what I can see, Region 6 North was not highly accessible 40 to 50 years ago but maybe I’m wrong and there are less hunters going there today than in the past.
    Trying to wrap my head around some facts and numbers that just don’t make sense.

604redneck:

Nothing wrong with licking leaves if you ventured far on a hunt and you're out of water..... And if moose hunting goes bye bye in the Yukon, there really is no hope!

IMO, we need to continue and increase our education of non hunters and stay polite and engaged with antis. I know there are also many newbies being trained weekly; companies are pumping them out now! (Not like the old days when you had to find one of the old-timers from the range to take the FAC test!).

Hopefully these "Hipster hunters" help our cause, (though I have not enjoyed them following me 'cuz they don't know where to hunt).

Bottom line is we need to continue hunting, showing the benefits and relevance of our chosen pursuit, and mentoring new hunters well versed in ethics and conservation.
    Last edited by deer nut; 02-12-2018 at 11:04 AM.

^^^well said.....we need to get the BC Liberals in fast before the NDGreenies screw everything up on us....