Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Re: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

They are getting exclusive right to a certain age class of bull, on a piece of land far smaller than 10%. It just happens to be the only easy access to the moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    I don't have specific details on what the actual effect is on the moose population in Skeena "north" but yes the hunting pressure has increased. By how much, I am unsure but the amount of hunters hunting north of the Skeena has definitely increased.
    BromBones pretty much hits the nail on the head IMHO.
    My opinion has little do to with FN rights or GO opportunities. Perhaps MoE is actually looking forward and taking a proactive approach?
    Well, all I know is that Bull to Cow Ratios are through the roof. Even if pressure is high Residents can only harvest Bulls. And If you take a gander at Google Maps youll see that there really isnt much access. So Residents are not only just harvesting Bulls, They will only harvest Moose so far off the beaten path.

Let's make decisions based on science not opinions.

Ive also heard that FNs are in support of CI inspections for Skeena North. But they are unwilling to participate in reporting their harvests...

If they won't partake in the science, then they should not be allowed to drive for any change.
    No compliance. No change!
    The whole road access thing is a piss off also. What did they do "culturally" before the roads were there? Probably worked at little harder.
    They say "jump" and the government says "how high?"

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Ive also heard that FNs are in support of CI inspections for Skeena North. But they are unwilling to participate in reporting their harvests...

First post here, but seeing a lot of what seems to be going on made me want to join. Commented on the proposed regulations hoping every little bit counts.

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

Resident hunters are being screwed big time on the moose issue. To be clear, this is not a conservation issue or an issue of the FN's not being able to kill their section 35 moose in North Skeena. It is about the commercial trophy hunters getting their way.

They have used the FN's to push their commercial $$$ agenda at the expense of BC resident licensed hunters trying to feed their families. Should be embarrassed ... but of course they're not $$$.

The bureaucrats involved in this should all be fired for breach of trust. The have been playing a game for a few years now and pretending their was a "consultation process" to achieve their end result. When the Jade/Boulder area went to the tri palm/10 point regulation (trophy hunt) a few years ago their agenda was exposed ... now they have just proven how shallow they really are, and how they disrespect BC's resident licensed hunters. Time they were gone!

The AHTE is a bureaucratic waste of time. Contact the Minister and your MLA and demand they explain why they are supporting non-resident trophy hunting in North Skeena at the expense of BC resident "sustenance" hunters. Licensed resident hunters should have priority over commercial $$$ trophy hunting.
    hmmm, when I spoke with heyman (ndp enviro minister) during the run up to election, he told me that they were going to "support residents" more so then any other group (well, other then FN), when it comes to "meat hunting".
    Funny, he was around to shut down GBear, but I don't see him helping "us" out now.
    Just more BS from the ministry, the people in it, and just another party that doesn't care about us resident hunters.

Well, all I know is that Bull to Cow Ratios are through the roof. Even if pressure is high Residents can only harvest Bulls. And If you take a gander at Google Maps youll see that there really isnt much access. So Residents are not only just harvesting Bulls, They will only harvest Moose so far off the beaten path.

Let's make decisions based on science not opinions.
    I don't need to look at goggle maps. I know the area well.
    I do agree...science based decisions are best. I don't really get your point though....sure it may be high now....but....
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

To be completely clear, these regulation changes are 100% unfounded ... they are a wet dream of the commercial $$$ killers and the biased bureaucrats. They have gotten this far only because they were enabled as such by Crispy and now the NDP. There motives were different but the result is the same.

Crispy and the Liberals wanted to buy off the FN's for approval of gas pipelines and corporate resource extraction. Moose were the beads and trinkets let's say. The NDP inherited the bureaucratic dysfunction and are afraid to deal with it. As a result, BC's licensed resident hunters are thrown under the bus to appease those that trophy hunt for moose. To waste 800 pounds of meat to take 60 pounds of antlers is disgusting.

I think 12 months of unlimited access to moose is adequate to satisfy the FN' "needs". As I have said, they have been used in this phony process.

Contact the Minister directly to protect one of our last GOS options for moose in BC. The NDP promised us they would change the Crispy/Liberal allocation directive so as to give resident hunters priority over the commercial $$$ killers. The AHTE website is a total waste of time that only enables the bureaucrats and anti hunters ... you don't even need to be a BC resident or a real hunter to comment.

Time to get political and get the truth out there.

Have heard the same thing. It was a request to the Tahltan 5 or 6 years ago when the Klappan season was first shortened, but they just ignore it. The bands don't care how many moose they take - cows, calves, bulls, doesn't matter.

They just want resident hunters out. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    I don't need to look at goggle maps. I know the area well.
    I do agree...science based decisions are best. I don't really get your point though....sure it may be high now....but....
    99 % of region goes untouched when it comes to moose hunting. If Bull to Cow ratio is high now with constantly Increasing pressure, it going to stay that way.