Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Re: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

A complete Joke. Catering to the Guide Trophy Hunters and FN Cow Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    A complete Joke. Catering to the Guide Trophy Hunters and FN Cow Killers.
    I disagree. The amount of pressure in this neck of the woods has been going up steadily. It's not a complete Joke, it is reality. Whether is is Outfitter or FN driven is a moot point IMHO. The increased pressure is very very noticeable. Times are changing as we all now.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    The way I see it you restrict opportunities in certain areas you get more hunters in smaller areas.Back in the day 70's-80's there is opportunity all over the province hence you distribute hunters everywhere.I can go moose hunting in a "Good Area" and not see a moose for a week.
    That's part of the push behind the Skeena North restrictions, they are worried that shortening the Skeena South any bull season to 3 days will put more pressure in northern regions. That and the natives need their ceremonial rights upheld.

"Currently, Skeena North is the only area in the Province with an extended GOS for any bull (the Peace region has a short any bull GOS preceding the antler restricted seasons), which could lead to more resident hunters travelling to Skeena North to hunt moose. Furthermore, proposed regulation changes in Skeena South (see regulation submission form for Moose – South Skeena) could intensify that potential ‘waterbed effect’, which could increase resident hunter pressure to this part of the region. Skeena North has few roads and these roads are used extensively by First Nations people to fulfill their food, social, and ceremonial rights to hunt moose."

Has the hunting pressure been going up? Are we meeting our Annual Allowable Harvest?

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    That's part of the push behind the Skeena North restrictions, they are worried that shortening the Skeena South any bull season to 3 days will put more pressure in northern regions. That and the natives need their ceremonial rights upheld.

"Currently, Skeena North is the only area in the Province with an extended GOS for any bull (the Peace region has a short any bull GOS preceding the antler restricted seasons), which could lead to more resident hunters travelling to Skeena North to hunt moose. Furthermore, proposed regulation changes in Skeena South (see regulation submission form for Moose – South Skeena) could intensify that potential ‘waterbed effect’, which could increase resident hunter pressure to this part of the region. Skeena North has few roads and these roads are used extensively by First Nations people to fulfill their food, social, and ceremonial rights to hunt moose."

Good to see the guide apologists rear their heads ... Not!!

You commercial $$$ killers for hire should be embarrassed. You can't even leave the meat species like moose alone because your trophy-hunting clientele will pay major coin $$$ to kill a bull for the antlers and cape and could care less about the 800 pounds of meat.

The FN's can hunt 12 months a year ... and the commercial killers have used them to their own ends. That being "get rid of the licensed BC resident hunters looking to feed their families". We have lost most of our opportunities already (down to 30 days from 90 days of GOS, access restrictions, etc ...) ... but you guys will never be happy. Any FN who can't kill a moose in Skeena North, under a 12-month unlimited season is a true "Conservationist" indeed ... in their own words "Shitty Hunter".

Your greed $$$ and lack of ability to share will be your downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post

You commercial $$$ killers for hire should be embarrassed. You can't even leave the meat species like moose alone because your trophy-hunting clientele will pay major coin $$$ to kill a bull for the antlers and cape and could care less about the 800 pounds of meat.

The FN's can hunt 12 months a year ... and the commercial killers have used them to their own ends. That being "get rid of the licensed BC resident hunters looking to feed their families". We have lost most of our opportunities already (down to 30 days from 90 days of GOS, access restrictions, etc ...) ... but you guys will never be happy. Any FN who can't kill a moose in Skeena North, under a 12-month unlimited season is a true "Conservationist" indeed ... in their own words "Shitty Hunter".

Me?? Settle down there Hoss.

I'm a resident hunter. I'm pissed about all the restrictions coming down the pipe. My previous post was simply paraphrasing the Govt's justification on the Skeena North seasons. Learn to comprehend what you read before you go off.

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post

Very well said 40 Incher, and the same sentiments as all BC Resident hunters but I think ya directed it at the wrong guy, call your MLA! K

Quote Originally Posted by geo guy View Post
    I actually dont mind option 2 that much. My issue with option two is the high cultral use areas, if those are removed I think this would be fair. It would open up prime rut hunting along the roadways creating more oppurtunities to hunt while also limiting the the harvest. It also does not change the backcountry areas for those who fly or horseback in to hunt where there is significantly less pressure.

Option 1 is complete rubbish and should not even be considered.

If they want to limit our moose hunting further they need to first restrict guide outfitters and First Nation groups as well.
    FNs make up what about 10% of the population in Region 6? Let them have exclusive rights to hunt 10% of the land base then, wouldn't that be the fair thing to do? Seems more democratic to me, and in no way stops them from exercising their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Has the hunting pressure been going up? Are we meeting our Annual Allowable Harvest?
    I don't have specific details on what the actual effect is on the moose population in Skeena "north" but yes the hunting pressure has increased. By how much, I am unsure but the amount of hunters hunting north of the Skeena has definitely increased.
    BromBones pretty much hits the nail on the head IMHO.
    My opinion has little do to with FN rights or GO opportunities. Perhaps MoE is actually looking forward and taking a proactive approach?
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

The guiding document for all of these changes goung forward is UNDRIP or United Nations Declaration of Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

Love it or hate it, this is the new normal.