Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Re: Skeena North Moose - Proposed Regulation Changes (Please Comment)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^well said.....we need to get the BC Liberals in fast before the NDGreenies screw everything up on us....
    Reading back thru old threads on this site my belief was that hunters were firmly in support of Mr Horgan and the NDP.
    To take it even into more depth isn’t AJ Weaver, one of the contributors to this site the other half of our current coalition in power as we speak. He has a following on here so why would anyone want to see them gone and those damn non resident hunter supporting Liberals put back in power?
    I don’t get it, we got what we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Not really. Region 6:

Average moose hunters 1970s = 6498
    Average moose hunters 1980s = 5146
    Average moose hunters 1990s = 5092
    Average moose hunters 2000s = 4296

Region 6 moose hunter numbers have been going steadily downward.

Reality and perception are often two different things.

If this is for all of 6 it should be no surprise. Really what you are offering for data is lacking supporting data to be even relevant

Change in overall hunter numbers and more restrictive seasons would be factors involved. Region 6 is a huge area and no doubt there has been a change in what parts of region 6 sees the majority of hunters. I would bet hunters were more spread out in the past

I only understand moose issues in part of southern 6 and would say legal hunting is not the issue but moose numbers are declining. This winter is really going to beat them down though. 5+ feet of snow and limited places left with big timber to avoid the depth of snow not good. Confident ungulate population decline is the result this winter for this area

Northern 6 don’t have enough info or experience to comment on so I won’t touch it.

Not really. Region 6:

There are 30 MU in Region 6.
    6-19 through 6-22 are the MU's my anecdotal evidence is in reference too. As I said IMHO. And again it is based on "boots on the ground" opinion....the vehicle hunter traffic has gone up judging by what I have seen in my 30 years up here.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

There is no doubt that it is very busy in 6 north. Every road/trailhead/boat launch is stuffed with people. Because access points are so few they act as funnel points for all the hunters. Even on a fly in hunt it can get crowded.

Not really. Region 6:

Come on now, as if hunters that hunt region 6 tell everyone where they hunt. I guess they could have done a hunter count in a square mile and extrapolated it?

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedPony View Post
    That doesn’t really make sense, unless the numbers you are using are based on all of Region 6.
    Then again if your numbers are for the entire region and you factor in all the limited hunts available in parts of the region it is possible that hunters have shifted to the areas that are still open to moose hunters that do not have to draw a tag.
    It still seems odd that the bull/cow ratio in Skeena North is 80:100 unless the area being inventoried has a large number of cow moose being killed as well as bulls.
    The numbers don’t make sense unless the entire moose population is being hunted and if that’s the case shouldn’t we as concerned individuals be asking the bio’s in that region what the overall inventory is and if the population is dropping, what is going on?
    The other possibility could be that even thow overall hunter numbers have dropped by one third, as your numbers show, is it a reality that hunter efficiency has increased due to increased access and technology in the time period you are quoting the hunter numbers from?
    From what I can see, Region 6 North was not highly accessible 40 to 50 years ago but maybe I’m wrong and there are less hunters going there today than in the past.
    Trying to wrap my head around some facts and numbers that just don’t make sense.
    Average days/kill 1970s = 23.
    Average days/kill 1980s = 25.
    Average days/kill 1990s = 22.
    Average days/kill 2000s = 22.

That's about as statistically flat for 40+ years as you'll ever see.

We're not more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    There are 30 MU in Region 6.
    6-19 through 6-22 are the MU's my anecdotal evidence is in reference too. As I said IMHO. And again it is based on "boots on the ground" opinion....the vehicle hunter traffic has gone up judging by what I have seen in my 30 years up here.

The MUs you reference have seen hunter numbers go from an average of 93/MU to 105/MU. You're telling us that you can notice the difference of 12 hunters per 2 month long season in a whole MU?
    Last edited by Fisher-Dude; 02-12-2018 at 10:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Not really. Region 6:

I always enjoy seeing actual numbers like these. and ratios like 80:100 Bull to Cow ratios.

Numbers have been going down but may seem more crowded when areas have gone from a 90 days season to 30 days in some parts of region 6.

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedPony View Post
    Reading back thru old threads on this site my belief was that hunters were firmly in support of Mr Horgan and the NDP.
    To take it even into more depth isn’t AJ Weaver, one of the contributors to this site the other half of our current coalition in power as we speak. He has a following on here so why would anyone want to see them gone and those damn non resident hunter supporting Liberals put back in power?
    I don’t get it, we got what we wanted.
    Not going to get into it too much, but yes the Liberals did stab us in the back but they would've been the best government for hunters in BC, as they were going to get us what we need the most - a dedicated funding plan... and they were going to allow game to be managed scientifically, not out of emotion, like cancelling the griz hunt..feel free to PM me if you have more questions..

Spotted Pony is trolling a wee bit me thinks