Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dismal year on the flow

dismal year on the flow

I would have to say the Chehalis fishery is at an all time low(for me anyway) the coho return was brutal, I fished it pretty hard even given the crazy fluctuating river conditions this year( up and down like a yo yo) dirty to crystal clear. But this is probably the first time I witnessed coho not taking natural chum roe, I used to hammer them on natural chum, I hit a few on double red but none on fresh, don't know why? I have yet to touch a winter run, I've heard of a few about 3 weeks ago, but have not witnessed any caught. I think the netting on the Harrison is destroying the Chehalis fishery, I've been fishing this system since 1992 and I cant believe it , Is this the same for anybody else?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: dismal year on the flow

that river(most) has been on the decline for a long time and the list of reasons includes netting and much more

All the reports I have heard makes the winter the worse one yet for fish....sad times for sure!

I am concerned that new anglers are going to feel so discouraged about the state of the salmon and steelhead fisheries that they will give up fishing altogether. The guys that started over 10 years ago or longer experienced much better fishing and developed a passion for the fish and conservation. Low angler retention = less advocacy and less advocacy = lower chance of pushing stakeholders for change.

Sad state indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    I am concerned that new anglers are going to feel so discouraged about the state of the salmon and steelhead fisheries that they will give up fishing altogether. The guys that started over 10 years ago or longer experienced much better fishing and developed a passion for the fish and conservation. Low angler retention = less advocacy and less advocacy = lower chance of pushing stakeholders for change.

Sad state indeed!
    Agreed, when the fish were abundant, people would practice a lot more C.R than now, reason being you know you could go back and catch more fish if you wanted 1 for the table, now what I see on the flow, is if a fish is caught it dies, regarding the quality of the fish, I'm glad I introduced fishing to my son, and now I get to try and introduce my 2 -9 month old grand daughters into it, the reason some people fish on the rivers is not because of the scenery and serenity anymore, its for food because the cost of fish in the stores is outrageous, I eat fish but when I started fishing regardless of lakes , ocean or streams it was because I like the thrill of being able to fool the fish and it feels like an accomplishment, I don't fish because of the quantity of fish I catch, if I did , now a days with the numbers being so low, I would not fish, I fish for the comradely of talking with fellow anglers , and the peaceful ness of being in a boat on a lake or on the river, to me a fish is a bonus. Something about fishing that humbles a person, one day you can be catching numbers and you go back the next, and you watch the fish move out of the way of your lure and get nothing, great sport isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    Agreed, when the fish were abundant, people would practice a lot more C.R than now, reason being you know you could go back and catch more fish if you wanted 1 for the table, now what I see on the flow, is if a fish is caught it dies, regarding the quality of the fish, I'm glad I introduced fishing to my son, and now I get to try and introduce my 2 -9 month old grand daughters into it, the reason some people fish on the rivers is not because of the scenery and serenity anymore, its for food because the cost of fish in the stores is outrageous, I eat fish but when I started fishing regardless of lakes , ocean or streams it was because I like the thrill of being able to fool the fish and it feels like an accomplishment, I don't fish because of the quantity of fish I catch, if I did , now a days with the numbers being so low, I would not fish, I fish for the comradely of talking with fellow anglers , and the peaceful ness of being in a boat on a lake or on the river, to me a fish is a bonus. Something about fishing that humbles a person, one day you can be catching numbers and you go back the next, and you watch the fish move out of the way of your lure and get nothing, great sport isn't it.

I agree 100%. I love steelhead fishing by 9/10 of the time I dont hook a fish, but I still love it all the same. The problem with the dwindling attention span of todays youth is that this is no longer appealing: "what, you stand in a cold river all day and not catch anything???"

Same applies to hunting...

I think some will still take up fishing and hunting, but with the glory days gone, angler and hunter retention is going to get harder.

guest Guest

It's always great to go out for a walk, hopefully hit a fish or two. Each year it gets worse and worse. Same as hunting, it appears our governments could care less. It's terribly disheartening as all of us would like to see a future for those that follow us, our grandkids.
    Its still brings a great day to go, talk to other fellow anglers that are decent enough to talk. Some good shares can be exchanged indeed. I love talking to the old boys, and I'm old compared to many of the new blood on the banks.
    The Vedder, has been very slow, but as of late a few more fish are being tied into too.

keep the pressure up fighting for better management, enhancement and habitat. Help where and when you can.It's all we can do.

in the mean time, go for a nice walk riverside, it's a great way to spend time, fingers crossed you might have a fun battle with the elusive Steel next cast

The best thing that could happen in the LM would be a decrease in angling pressure on beaten stocks!!
    The chehalis has been on steady downhill since the water went away from the hatchery.
    Now any fish that come in shoot straight into the canyon or chill in the Harrison. Push the rip rap.back at Easter seal back towards the hatch!!!
    The netting on the Harrison and below was the worst I have seen in 20 years on these systems this fall.

It's been tough for most guys for a few years now.
    You have to get into the canyon pretty deep to find fish.
    I only know one guy who has caught fish this year and he has 5 to hand thus far, he's also the only guy I know who puts his life in danger to get to his spots in the canyon lol
    The days of fishing the low holes on the Chehalis are over.
    I caught my first steel on the Chehalis about 20 years ago just above the campground across from the big wall, haven't fished it for a few years now.
    Sad to see it in such peril.

but with the glory days gone, angler and hunter retention is going to get harder.
    The trouble with kids today is they can't go anywhere without their electronics.
    It's funny watching groups of young people pull into a campsite and they all jump out of the vehicle with their cell phones in hand and run around looking for a signal.
    That's why there fewer young fishers and hunters, because they are too busy looking for a signal.
    Last edited by 303savage; 03-06-2018 at 07:11 AM.