Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wapiti Wednesday Once Again

Re: Wapiti Wednesday Once Again

I agree about predator management..My problem is that of the 5-8 wolves I've seen while hunting with a gun I've had zero shot opportunities..Hunters kill a few but they have to be managed by trappers and by the ministry as they are doing quietly now ..We need more management from the Govt ..Idealisms have created a catch 22 situation cause bleeding hearts and Govt feel that Nature must take its course..BUT..we are part of nature as we kill animals so we effectively add to the predation of wildlife..Predators are really enjoying this safe zone that TODAY is prevalent ..Stupid is as stupid does and me thinks our Govt society is brow beatton by the Anti's ..Years ago you could shoot a black bear and didn't have to take the meat..Just the hide..This stopped the knocking back of black bears as hunters didn't hunt them hardly as much ..Predators have there place but there must be a proper balance or otherwise ungulates will drop drastically and we will have a shortage of animals..Me thinks the solution to this dilemma is a new model of wildlife management funded and run by professionals and not GOVT..Maybe if we can get a Liberal Govt elected in the next go around we can really lobby to have this model created..From CO's to resource workers to Biologists ...hunters ...fisherman ..guide outfitters .and Policeman is our area of support..A concentrated effort from this lobby group will get the attention of govt to do something for our wildlife..Science again can rule the day not fuzzy Anti's .....Dennis

Re: Wapiti Wednesday Once Again

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Yes, this one is. He is one of only 318 elk that currently reside in the Park. Up from the 317 during the last count in 2013. Parks Canada says this is currently stable and more reasonable from the artificial highs that saw thousands in the past. Hmmm, 5 years and zero growth? Hmmm, elk hanging out on the highways and in town to avoid predation? Hmmm, beautiful big burns with barely an elk in them? Hmmm, what made the numbers of the Park 'artificial' in the Past. What does 'artificial' even mean? Hmmm, i thought HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT was all that was needed to grow animals? Hmmm, is anyone seeing the BIG PICTURE??? We are sitting back and watching the destruction of our wildlife and we are OK with that?
    I always wondered why it took a 100 years for the first Jasper elk to make it to McBride.