Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Island newbie

Island newbie

Hi there! I've been a lurker for quite a while but figured I ought to post an introduction.

I'm a recovering city girl who's pretty new to anything outdoors, other than I used to go for walks along the Fraser River when I lived in Richmond but that hardly counts. A year and a half ago I started doing some light hiking around the Capilano and Grouse Mountain, and more recently I've moved to Vancouver Island. After a few months of digging out from all the moving boxes, I'm just starting to do some exploring and researching about local trails and whatnot.

I'm not yet a hunter as I know I'm a terrible shot and never grew up around it, but I'm interested in archery and would like to take up bowhunting once I can shoot straight. I plan on joining the local archery club soon and eventually one of the F&G's (there are a few within an hour's drive).

Anyway, it'll be a while before I'm posting any triumphant hunting stories, but this forum has been very interesting and informative when I've been just lurking (especially all the posts about local politics and access to forestry lands, much of which is pertinent to hiking as well), and I'm here to learn.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Island newbie

Welcome to the site .... and welcome to V-Island.
    Hunting-Fishing-Access has become political ... unfortunately.
    Enjoy what you can, when you can ...... happy trails!
    Last edited by ACE; 01-30-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Welcome!!! You will most likely love archery. It is interesting that you have gravitated towards being a bow hunter.... Very cool actually.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Welcome to the rock!
    Have a great time out there, and get some meat

I found archery a few years ago after getting into the big game hunting scene with a vintage rifle. Personally prefer traditional, have only hunted a couple times with the bow. Either method is a great way to enjoy the outdoors. Find shooting the bow therapeutic & relaxing.
    Introduced
    daughter & son in law to bows recently. They love it, not hunters, simply shooters.

Welcome ,Deciding to take up hunting is a very wise decision. It gives you exercise, a sense of self reliance, teaches you patients, and helps you get more out of life in many non obvious ways. Considering that hunting is more and more becoming a negative political football being kicked around by a very uniformed group. Your decision is admirable. A word of caution though it can get expensive ,as many on here know. A thinner wallet is a small thing for what it gives back to you. Good hunting...

Hello
    archery hunting is so challenging but also rewarding. I’ve been at archery hunting for 2 years now. Missed two bucks early on. There’s a hunt app called (how to hunt) he’s an experienced guide that’s from the island great advice. As for access most logging roads are gated off so mostly weekings / Sunday’s open. Easy access one is hill 60 out towards lake Cowichan, as you pass the power lines on highway take 3 logging road. The gate is never closed. But the down side of lots of people go shooting there.

Be prepared to go a few seasons eating tag soup and making mistakes. Enjoy it, because it's all part of the process. But be ready haha

Head into Buckies and talk to Richard behind the bow counter. He’s a long time bow hunter and passionate about archery. Then head into the shotgun/bow only areas and start getting the lay of the land.

Welcome to the site and Island. Where abouts are you situated on the island, maybe one of us can get you out and get you started. Have you done your CORE program yet?