Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail firsts ........

guest Guest

Re: Whitetail firsts ........

Sorry about the # posts but my comp. times out for some reason.

Arriving at the other blind, with a dead deer and huge smiles, checking tag cancellation proceedures with a shaky hand, we took some pics, got the low down on the story of newbie success. It was priceless! Worth every bit of work and attention to details. Now we had direct methods of a quick field dressing with the entire group. The deer was dragged out of the bush and others were sent for the truck and camp dog, more work to come soon, hanging, skinning etc etc. Stories back and forth along with a few celebratory cocktails. Good times.

One down, maybe a couple to go. Focus remained on the newbies opportunities rather then my wife and I's. The next morning, again well before light, we all headed out. The five of us switched locations, as to not grow tired of the same old same old...... And about 1/2 hour after first light, a small buck came walking into perfect position for our youngest daughter ....... She had missed out on a few windows of opportunity previously so was eager, calm and ready. As the little buck turned broadside, the report of the 30/06 sounded off with another deer down! Wow, I must say, for both of these two new hunters, I couldn't be happier, both deer had collapsed in their tracks on the shot. No blood trails to follow, no doubt of immediate kills. I was happy with their attention to detail on listening to my preaching of proper shot replacement, just like my wife did the previous year. Congrats to you all! Jobs well done.

So, with two down now, we all took in Glamping for another day, while the meat set up great. I should mention the wicked storm that brewed around us for the days there, it was unnerving at times and on a few occasions we all bailed out of the bush in worries if being crushed by fallen trees. One big bugger missed one blind by thirty feet, to close! We were glad we were camped in a small pine regrowth area. Happy with two for three on the newbies, we headed home, smiles all round. This wasn't a hunt for the wife and I, it was about trying to get the newbies onto deer, which through patience, dedication and time, it paid off.

Until next time ....... We will be back!
    Last edited by guest; 01-30-2018 at 05:30 AM.

guest Guest

So, November 2917 early drop in temperature and snow level was shaping up to be what we all want for bigger bucks. The second week of November had snow nearing two feet deep at 4000 feet. Then, the rains came, DAM!
    What was looking so promising was quickly going away. Oh well, plans were made for the last week of the rifle season. My bro had never harvested a WTail buck, he was on my most wanted list to fulfil his dream and dream of a good buck. Four of us went, myself, bro, buddy DH and again our cousin.

We started by checking cameras and replacing chips and batteries. Blinds were placed and bushed in as much as possible, we were all stoked. Much to our surprise, there was little rut sign so late in the season, hardly any deer on cam's bucks and does included but what activity there was was in the darness. We all settled in in what looked like might be a long week. We did note, two dandy bucks were on cameras in two locations, but never during the day. All night time pics. I put bro in the best spot I thought for a goodin, ugly thick dense cover with a bit of new rut sign, but lots of previous years rubs. This was a travel corridor, or so we thought for a big boy. From daylight to dark. The four of us remained determined and focused on the tasks of bucks, and hopefully good ones.

Days went by, a few little boys were passed up early, by a few of us, spikes, twos and a three point. A few does appeared in various locations, but no rut activity to get excited about. Dam! From time to time, we would check the cam's, and sure enough, there were some good ones around, but no patern to follow. Bro moved location to another area we thought had potential. To no avail, the same continued. No daylight sightings of bigger bucks, but a few night shots of bigger boys kept us going, cool, they are here somewhere!

On day six, after daylight to dark for all for of us, the temps dropped. Our coolest day yet, great !

Sure enough mid day, around 1 o'clock, the squirrels to my right were going crazy. Somethings up, what's going on. I slowly tried to open the side windows more. In the thick bush to the right, a doe slowly fed along the trail, movement to her left, WOW! A big buck, yup a WTail, out above his nose, at least a five pt. holy crap! My heart raced. He was only 30-35 yeads away ...... I tried in vane to get into position. Trying to be as quiet as possible, He new I was there, some where, but didn't know what to make of his nervous demeanour ...... Shat!
    Last edited by guest; 01-30-2018 at 05:33 AM.

guest Guest

As I readied for the shot on his vitals, the doe moved in directly behind him. Dammit! With that he turned and trotted away, no flag but nervous none the less.
    My one and only opportunity on a good buck, the biggest WTail buck I'd ever had my sights on was there, then gone.
    Their cagey suckers as I couldn't believe what had happened! Opportunity LOST !
    I offered my spot to my big bro, he said no, those night time pics of what was around kept him envious of what might happen. In time. Again late night cam check of cards and chips. Holy crap! Another goodin has passed by my blind before daylight on day six, yet again never showed in daylight. More sightings that day 6 by all of us but one showed increase of activity by the girls, more bucks on film. It appeared the rut was on with the change of temp.

Day 7 began, four guys in positions, fingers crossed, colder yet today ....... As darness grew to daylight, a couple does moved through my sight lines, then one doe, on full alert bounded out. As a nice bigger buck came slowly up the hill pushing her around. He faced me straight on, nice! Sure, not the dandy of the day before but a big bodied buck, wait, look at the rack, it's Broken Face! We had him on cam, he was a scrapper no doubt. Missing a lot of bone from his head gear. Being down hill and Facing head on he lowered his head and was dropped in his tracks with a spine shot through the vitals of my old Ruger princess .308 win. Wow, I couldn't believe it! My best WTail buck to date!

Cool my first WTail buck that's all busted up from battles with bigger bucks indeed! I'd like to see the boy that kicked his butt!

I must admit, my heart had been beating like a newbie, I had them feelings of buck fever, I had to calm myself before the shot. It's those feelings that drive me to continue my love of fishing and hunting, goal accomplished !

I walked down to the buck, he had not moved, was dead immediately ! Awesome, wow a nice big bodied boy!
    Missing his G2 off one side, and other full antler above the brow tine. What was likely a nice 5x 5 was now a 4x2 lol. Broken Face had fallen! I called for some help on the radio. I'd need it to get thus guy out one on the pole for skinning. Tag cut, field dressed and pics taken, cuz and I hauled him out! Thanks GB Sr. On your help. We were stoked, finally, deer down after the start of day 7!
    Last edited by guest; 01-29-2018 at 06:46 PM.

guest Guest

With wishes that my bro had taken my spot and likely would have taken ol Broken Face, my goal remained, to get him his first WTail buck. I did admire his dedication to remain in place but asked him to please move, as you never know, the dandy I had seen on day 6 may come back. He was worried I had gutted a deer in the same area, I told him no it's not to worry of he agreed to move and spend the remaining time of our hunt in my place, even though his cam's showed great potential with a big double split browed 6x7 on night pics only.

As I went to help big bro change locations my buddy DH and I contacted each other on radio. He had finally downed a spike he watched from time to time all week, but had passed on several chances. With plans of heading home the next day, he harvested the young fine eating WT buck. Two down, two to go. We got Bro moved and in place as I again reassured him to stay in place till legal light was gone, the biggy might not show till last light. I offered him better binocs, reluctantly he accepted. Good glass lights things up better no doubt.

It was still before noon, two hanging on the pole and skinned, looking mighty fine. DH and I shared more stories and laughs of past hunts of days gone by. Great times together over many many years. Still my best hunting partner of all !
    Last edited by guest; 01-29-2018 at 06:25 PM.

guest Guest

Nearing the end if day 7, we sat and waited for the boys to finish yet another long day of WTail blind hunting.

Then Boom! Some one had fired a high power, and not to distant, it could be either one, my big bro GB jr. or Cuz GB sr. ....... Waiting a few minutes, the radio, scratched with squelch ........ It was my Bro ....... His words, who's coming to help me pull out a buck! Wahoo! He had downed his First WTail buck. Finally getting to him in the blackness, we quickly picked up the trail. He didn't go far. And was stone dead. A nice 5x4 ! Way to Go Bro!

I couldn't be happier for you! Tag cut, pics and more pics, the buck dressed was dragged out of the bush. Up to the hanging pole that was now looking even better. Two good sized bodied bucks down and a more tender spiker. Great share together by all. Cousin GBsr. was done, and more than happy to go home with full tags, as he'd be retuning to a different region for WT Bow only season later in December.

The long daylight to dark days had payed off. The many many trips back and forth to the hunting grounds has paid off. The many many hours of preseason scouting and boots on the ground with terrific advice from a few WT masters has helped me, my family and friends emmensly! I've learnta ton from you, learnt a ton while out there, but know I'm far from knowing it all, not a chance, that's what draws me back wanting more. This species and style of hunting is far different then any other hunting I have done to date, yet fits with my present abilities and health. It's doable and provides me with great great shares with family and friends!

Thanks to those that have mentored me and mine, thanks for your trust, your advice and for believing me. Thanks for the amazing share of your knowledge of the WTails. I tip my hat to you! We all are grateful to help us with some great memories and White Tail firsts !

Until this spring time 2018 ...... Black bear Season soon, with boots on the ground in search for the great sought after White Tails .

CT

I'd love to share some pics but can't post from my android. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks
    Last edited by guest; 01-29-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Where’s the pictures...?

Lol. Thanks for taking the time to post up CT.

I spent some time in the Midway/Greenwood area myself chasing Whitetails. Got a real nice 5x6 in 1992 heading down Fiva creek from the Boundary end. Not a pic to be found now and I have no idea where they went.
    Last edited by fuzzybiscuit; 01-29-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks for taking us along on your wt adventures. Time well wasted every time I'm sitting for a wt, even if one doesn't show. It sure is a patience game, and they sure are smart and tasty. The smartest and tastiest of the deers I reckon!
    Best of luck in the future.
    Cheers
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Sounds like the start of a new addiction lol

Thanks for taking the time to post. I love stories about new hunters getting their first.

If you are worried about timing out when posting try writing in word and just copy and pasting it over.
    KCCO