Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Apparently CO'S shouldn't hunt as that affects their work ethic

Re: Apparently CO'S shouldn't hunt as that affects their work ethic

This thread seems to have run it's course, but I feel like it's important that I give an update on what posting my little write up has done.

Instagram would not let me post it, as it was too long, so I focused on Facebook alone. Both comments I received were from people around the same age as me, (26-28 yo).
    First comment I received was from someone I once went to school with. She is a highly educated person, (still in school some 10 years after graduating high school), she also happened to be vegan, and was not anti-hunting but not in support of it fully. She said that she my post was thought-provoking, and understood how the article was pandering subconsciously to an anti-hunting agenda. The first time she read the article she found nothing of the sort. She asked me if there was somewhere she could do some reading on how "hunting is conservation", so I gave her a few links and organizations to check out. She sent me a private message later saying thanks for sending her all the info, and that she has a different outlook on hunting, and hunters themselves. "I always had a thought that of all the people that choose to consume animal products, hunters might be the ones doing it the most humanely, but I just couldn't understand how the taking of a life could benefit anyone and always thought of it as a very selfish act." She remains vegan, but said that she fully supports local hunting practices now.

Second comment I received was from a sort of friend-of-a-friend, just a regular non-hunter citizen if you will. Also a smart guy, well traveled/cultured person. He actually ran as a candidate for the Green Party in his local riding last election, (downtown Vancouver area). Didn't win, first time he ran, always been interested in the political world. I feel I should copy-paste our conversation, tough to sum it up.

HIM - I don't think things are going to get better for you on this front as times go on, in terms of the public perception and support for hunting...
    I think more and more people are just profoundly uncomfortable with the idea of killing things as a recreational activity, and they have trouble empathizing with someone who's hobby is to go out with the express purpose of killing something for enjoyment.
    People are generally comfortable with killing for the purpose of food, and with killing for the purpose of conservation. But in both those cases I think the people who are consuming the animal products assume that the people doing the killing of the animals aren't particularly enjoying it. If I found out that someone working in a slaughterhouse was there because they really love slaughtering I think that'd make me really uncomfortable too.
    So the idea that Conservation Officers are going into the job because they love the killing part of it bothers people, yeah. The assumption of the non-hunting general public is that the killing part is a necessity of the job sometimes, but that the COs hate having to do it, and do so reluctantly because it's necessary. So the fact that so many COs have hunting licenses implies that they really enjoy that part of the job. As you said, it doesn't mean that's WHY they took the job, but it's likely a part that they like.
    The implication that that means they're not actually concerned with conservation is silly, I agree. But I think people are expected COs to be people who's primary reason for wanting to do conservation work was because they want to see animals thrive and succeed because of a recognition of the value of non-human life, and not because they want there to be ample stock of those animals for hunting.
    And I think that's going to continue being the direction that the public perception goes.

ME - I agree that things will likely not get better in public support or perception, and there are inevitably some hunters who find a thrill in killing, or who hunt for sport. I feel that this is an unfortunate case of seeing a few bad apples on a tree, and proclaiming that it's the tree that is bad, and not the few apples themselves. The majority of us hunt for various different reasons, and with different motives, but those hunting stories will never make headlines.
    I know that many people have a problem with the killing aspect of hunting, or any sort of killing in general, and I don't fault them for it. We have created cities and societies where killing is no longer a direct necessity for survival, and we are sort of shielded in a way from the natural world that we came from, and are still are a part of.
    There's a quote from someone named M.R. James that has come to my attention recently, and while I can't speak for all the hunters out there, I can say that it speaks to me greatly on this very topic.
    “Despite our ever-changing, ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and synthetic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by a restless wind blowing across sunlit water and beneath star-strewn sky. And on those occasions when I choose to kill, to claim some small part of nature’s bounty for my own, I do so by choice, quickly with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter. Further, in my heart and mind, I know the truth and make no apologies for my actions or my place in time. Others around me may opt to eat only plants, nuts and fruits. Still others may employ faceless strangers to procure their meats, their leather, their feathers, and all those niceties and necessities of life. Such is their right, of course, and I wish them well. All I ask in return is no one begrudge me – and all of us who may answer the primordial stirrings within our hunter’s souls – my right to do some of these things myself.” – M.R. James

HIM -That's a really good quote, I especially like the part about faceless stranger, because it's absolutely right. Folks who don't have any connection to how their animal products are procured have a really sheltered view of how it is actually done.
    You're absolutely right that hunting is still in our blood as well. A huge amount of our entertainment is still around simulated expressions of violence. We enjoy violent video games and TV shows because our instincts tell us that violence is fun, which makes sense because those humans who excelled at it were better at survival. The same goes for hunting, it makes total sense from an evolutionary standpoint that people would enjoy it.
    But there's a big public perception difference between subsistence and trophy hunting, and people are always going to focus on the worst example of something. So when people hear "Hunter" they automatically assume that means someone who's flying to Africa to shoot endangered lions for the joy of it, not someone who hunts deer and then packs away all the meat for delicious jerky and steaks. The worst example of something always gets the most attention.
    I appreciate your viewpoints, keeps me from getting stuck in an echo chamber on things like this!

I left it at that with him. A bit of a tougher nut to crack, but I feel the conversation went in a good direction. With someone like this I thought it better to show that I understood that we're not all perfect, and I'm not here to shout "look at me I'm a hero of conservation!".

If we could all have conversations like this with the non-hunting public, I feel we could really get somewhere with there being less vitriol towards our community. We can't ask people to understand us, all we really need is for them to understand what hunting means to us, what it does for us, and what it does for the natural world. If we can break down these barriers through education, and simply having a civil conversation, I really think we can make some ground here.

My post got shared around FB a couple of times, so a few hundred people have seen it, (can't guarantee they've all read it). And even Steve Rinella of the show MeatEater commented on my original post, told me to send this to the paper as an op-ed. Not going to lie I got a bit giddy when I realized he read what I wrote!

Another long-winded post, so thanks for reading. Understanding through education, strive for it ladies and gentleman, it works.

Good on you for taking the time to provide a thought provoking perspective on hunting in a modern world. Facebook is a great way to share our perspective with a lot of people much better than all the one on one discussions i have had.
    Last edited by Buck; 02-03-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

I'll back any BC CO if he or she needed help anywhere anytime, 100%.
    Jel -- our CO's folks

Killing:

I imagine most people kill things, or have in their lifetimes. Unless vegans never kill spiders or mosquito's? I wonder if they take any personal satisfaction or pleasure in stomping on a big fat spider, or ruthlessly crushing the skeeter that is looking for a feed?

Culture:

Whether people like it or not, hunting, fishing, trapping and gathering is an integral part of Canadian Culture, and has been for thousands of years. Hunters or fishermen are merely practicing Canadian Culture. I'd suggest if people living here don't like our culture, then they should seriously consider leaving this country as they are being anti Canadian. There is only one reason that we should be made to stop practicing our culture of hunting and that is for conservation purposes, never because some anti Canadian people think we should.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Killing:

I imagine most people kill things, or have in their lifetimes. Unless vegans never kill spiders or mosquito's? I wonder if they take any personal satisfaction or pleasure in stomping on a big fat spider, or ruthlessly crushing the skeeter that is looking for a feed?

Culture:

Whether people like it or not, hunting, fishing, trapping and gathering is an integral part of Canadian Culture, and has been for thousands of years. Hunters or fishermen are merely practicing Canadian Culture. I'd suggest if people living here don't like our culture, then they should seriously consider leaving this country as they are being anti Canadian. There is only one reason that we should be made to stop practicing our culture of hunting and that is for conservation purposes, never because some anti Canadian people think we should.
    vegans often conveniently forget that farmland causes habitat loss/big reduction in wildlife.....so unless the vegan is gathering their food from the forest sustainably then they are causing animals to die...they hold no moral high ground over hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor329 View Post
    This thread seems to have run it's course, but I feel like it's important that I give an update on what posting my little write up has done.

Instagram would not let me post it, as it was too long, so I focused on Facebook alone. Both comments I received were from people around the same age as me, (26-28 yo).
    First comment I received was from someone I once went to school with. She is a highly educated person, (still in school some 10 years after graduating high school), she also happened to be vegan, and was not anti-hunting but not in support of it fully. She said that she my post was thought-provoking, and understood how the article was pandering subconsciously to an anti-hunting agenda. The first time she read the article she found nothing of the sort. She asked me if there was somewhere she could do some reading on how "hunting is conservation", so I gave her a few links and organizations to check out. She sent me a private message later saying thanks for sending her all the info, and that she has a different outlook on hunting, and hunters themselves. "I always had a thought that of all the people that choose to consume animal products, hunters might be the ones doing it the most humanely, but I just couldn't understand how the taking of a life could benefit anyone and always thought of it as a very selfish act." She remains vegan, but said that she fully supports local hunting practices now.

Second comment I received was from a sort of friend-of-a-friend, just a regular non-hunter citizen if you will. Also a smart guy, well traveled/cultured person. He actually ran as a candidate for the Green Party in his local riding last election, (downtown Vancouver area). Didn't win, first time he ran, always been interested in the political world. I feel I should copy-paste our conversation, tough to sum it up.

HIM - I don't think things are going to get better for you on this front as times go on, in terms of the public perception and support for hunting...
    I think more and more people are just profoundly uncomfortable with the idea of killing things as a recreational activity, and they have trouble empathizing with someone who's hobby is to go out with the express purpose of killing something for enjoyment.
    People are generally comfortable with killing for the purpose of food, and with killing for the purpose of conservation. But in both those cases I think the people who are consuming the animal products assume that the people doing the killing of the animals aren't particularly enjoying it. If I found out that someone working in a slaughterhouse was there because they really love slaughtering I think that'd make me really uncomfortable too.
    So the idea that Conservation Officers are going into the job because they love the killing part of it bothers people, yeah. The assumption of the non-hunting general public is that the killing part is a necessity of the job sometimes, but that the COs hate having to do it, and do so reluctantly because it's necessary. So the fact that so many COs have hunting licenses implies that they really enjoy that part of the job. As you said, it doesn't mean that's WHY they took the job, but it's likely a part that they like.
    The implication that that means they're not actually concerned with conservation is silly, I agree. But I think people are expected COs to be people who's primary reason for wanting to do conservation work was because they want to see animals thrive and succeed because of a recognition of the value of non-human life, and not because they want there to be ample stock of those animals for hunting.
    And I think that's going to continue being the direction that the public perception goes.

ME - I agree that things will likely not get better in public support or perception, and there are inevitably some hunters who find a thrill in killing, or who hunt for sport. I feel that this is an unfortunate case of seeing a few bad apples on a tree, and proclaiming that it's the tree that is bad, and not the few apples themselves. The majority of us hunt for various different reasons, and with different motives, but those hunting stories will never make headlines.
    I know that many people have a problem with the killing aspect of hunting, or any sort of killing in general, and I don't fault them for it. We have created cities and societies where killing is no longer a direct necessity for survival, and we are sort of shielded in a way from the natural world that we came from, and are still are a part of.
    There's a quote from someone named M.R. James that has come to my attention recently, and while I can't speak for all the hunters out there, I can say that it speaks to me greatly on this very topic.
    “Despite our ever-changing, ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and synthetic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by a restless wind blowing across sunlit water and beneath star-strewn sky. And on those occasions when I choose to kill, to claim some small part of nature’s bounty for my own, I do so by choice, quickly with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter. Further, in my heart and mind, I know the truth and make no apologies for my actions or my place in time. Others around me may opt to eat only plants, nuts and fruits. Still others may employ faceless strangers to procure their meats, their leather, their feathers, and all those niceties and necessities of life. Such is their right, of course, and I wish them well. All I ask in return is no one begrudge me – and all of us who may answer the primordial stirrings within our hunter’s souls – my right to do some of these things myself.” – M.R. James

HIM -That's a really good quote, I especially like the part about faceless stranger, because it's absolutely right. Folks who don't have any connection to how their animal products are procured have a really sheltered view of how it is actually done.
    You're absolutely right that hunting is still in our blood as well. A huge amount of our entertainment is still around simulated expressions of violence. We enjoy violent video games and TV shows because our instincts tell us that violence is fun, which makes sense because those humans who excelled at it were better at survival. The same goes for hunting, it makes total sense from an evolutionary standpoint that people would enjoy it.
    But there's a big public perception difference between subsistence and trophy hunting, and people are always going to focus on the worst example of something. So when people hear "Hunter" they automatically assume that means someone who's flying to Africa to shoot endangered lions for the joy of it, not someone who hunts deer and then packs away all the meat for delicious jerky and steaks. The worst example of something always gets the most attention.
    I appreciate your viewpoints, keeps me from getting stuck in an echo chamber on things like this!

I left it at that with him. A bit of a tougher nut to crack, but I feel the conversation went in a good direction. With someone like this I thought it better to show that I understood that we're not all perfect, and I'm not here to shout "look at me I'm a hero of conservation!".

If we could all have conversations like this with the non-hunting public, I feel we could really get somewhere with there being less vitriol towards our community. We can't ask people to understand us, all we really need is for them to understand what hunting means to us, what it does for us, and what it does for the natural world. If we can break down these barriers through education, and simply having a civil conversation, I really think we can make some ground here.

My post got shared around FB a couple of times, so a few hundred people have seen it, (can't guarantee they've all read it). And even Steve Rinella of the show MeatEater commented on my original post, told me to send this to the paper as an op-ed. Not going to lie I got a bit giddy when I realized he read what I wrote!

Another long-winded post, so thanks for reading. Understanding through education, strive for it ladies and gentleman, it works.
    Nice one, Taylor! I think you are a conservation hero! Rubbing shoulders with Rinella,eh?!

Enlightening one person at a time. Talking to people in a civil manner gets one's point across far better than using course words. That's the way to do it. I talk to everyone I can about hunting and conservation. I feel like I might be making some positive head way too.

Chad

A reply in today's Province opinion section

Here’s a reply in today’s Province.

http://theprovince.com/opinion/op-ed...atural-capital

In a Jan. 29 article, “Hunting culture rife within ministry”, it was inferred that the B.C. Conservation Officer Service is over-represented by hunters and that conservation officers choose their career for reasons inconsistent with protecting and conserving B.C.’s natural capital. The focus on personal, instead of policy-based issues, also attacked not only the interests and motivations of conservation officers, but those of hunters and anglers. The following response addresses what hunters and anglers do, and why.
    British Columbians purchase approximately 280,000 freshwater angling licences, 110,000 hunting licences, and 280,000 saltwater angling licences annually. If you haven’t tried hunting or fishing, chances are you know someone who does. In B.C., hunting and angling bring in nearly $1 billion annually to our economy. A prerequisite to being a hunter or angler is having sustainable populations of fish and wildlife.
    Despite being one of the most bio-diverse jurisdictions in North America, B.C. is also one of the most under-funded when it comes to conserving, monitoring and protecting our natural capital. To help counterbalance this deficiency, hunters and anglers have pushed for surcharges and taxes on their own licences to create mandatory funding for conservation. Organizations such as the Habitat Trust Conservation Foundation and the Pacific Salmon Foundation have put hundreds of millions of dollars into thousands of conservation projects across the province. Hunters and anglers recognize this is not enough.
    In addition to licence fees, hunters and anglers spend their disposable income and volunteer hours to purchase and restore critical habitat for fish and wildlife, to assist research, and to monitor trends in abundance. This money and time is spent to protect, conserve and restore wildlife, because hunters and anglers are concerned B.C. is losing what makes it special.
    Conservation organizations, and other natural resource-related agencies across the province, have worked hand-in-hand with the Conservation Officer Service since its inception. Hunters and anglers love to see conservation and fisheries officers out in the field because it gives them a sense that our laws are being enforced. Hunters and anglers have also created citizen-based enforcement programs such as Wilderness Watch and the B.C. Wildlife Federation Conservation App to help assist our enforcement agencies.

Programs such as Wild Safe B.C. were designed in concert with the B.C. Conservation Officer Service to prevent habituation of wildlife and reduce human-wildlife conflict. The Conservation Officer Services also spends its time in schools, in indigenous communities, at outdoors shows, and meeting with the public to educate the public; prevention is the best medicine. While these contributions were not mentioned in the article, they nevertheless exist because hunters and anglers care.
    The reality is hunters, and anglers are over-represented across all fields related to natural resource conservation. You will find hunters and anglers are over-represented as Fisheries Officers, Conservation Officers, Natural Resource Officers, provincial and federal biologists and researchers, First Nations Guardians, environmental non-governmental organizations, and academic institutions. Given the educational requirements, nearly all of these jobs are under-paid compared to fields with similar post-secondary education requirements. The motivation is simple: because hunters and anglers care about the sustainability of our natural resources.
    This trend is not specific to the Conservation Officer Service, or British Columbia. It is a global phenomenon. B.C., Canada, and North America’s most celebrated conservation pioneers were hunters and anglers. People who grow up hunting and fishing pick jobs that protect and conserve wild places and fish and wildlife all over the world. They are taught at a very young age that if you don’t take care of fish and wildlife, your ability to see, enjoy and use natural resources will disappear. It does not come as a surprise to anyone with an interest in natural resource conservation that hunters and anglers are in those jobs.
    B.C. is losing what makes it special. The Fraser River is failing, and our mountain caribou are disappearing. The number of species and populations at risk increases annually. British Columbians need to come together to change this trajectory by focusing on the public interest, not personal vendettas.
    Jesse Zeman is the director of the B.C. Wildlife Federation’s fish and wildlife restoration program.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Very well written. Good job Jesse.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I just read Taylor's FB post. Also well articulated, although I think I would have stressed more that many (most?) hunters don't enjoy the kill but it is an integral part of the whole experience. I've read many people on here expressing sadness after taking a life and lots of people have rituals that thank the animal for giving its life.

I doubt your slaughterhouse employees feel the same sadness.

Hunting is primordial, an intrinsic urge to survive. Sex is similarly a primal urge. I prefer to sub-contract neither activity but I also like to chop my own firewood and fix or build my own stuff. To each his own.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

With the socialists/tree huggers in power it’s only a matter of time!

"A growing chorus of animal-welfare activists say they’re worried a trigger-happy, pro-hunting culture has infiltrated the ranks of provincial conservation agencies. They cite various incidents from the past year as evidence: uniformed officers posing for pictures next to animals they’ve shot as if they’re trophies; a controversial recruitment ad in B.C. highlighting as a perk the opportunity to tranquilize grizzly bears; and an announcement in Saskatchewan that its conservation officers will soon be equipped with AR-style rifles.
    “There is an urgent need to completely overhaul how each of the provinces and territories manages wildlife,”

https://www.intelligencer.ca/news/ca...e-77da02383306
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein