Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alberta

Alberta

Thinking about making the move to Calgary for work and better housing prices. Wondering if any of you have experience hunting/fishing in southern Alberta. Or if you know of any good forums for Alberta it would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alberta

Ask away easier if you pick direct ?s

hunted and fished a good portion of Alberta lived in Canmore, Calgary, and Drayton valley in the past

There is the Alberta outdoors forum

Think http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/ is fairly popular.

Fair bit of fishing. But no where near what we have. If you want to hunt deer close ti Calgary will probably have to get a few priority points in the draw system before get drawn. That being said, if you are willing to travel can go out every year.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Keeping fish is not allowed in a lot of lakes.
    Hunting is great if you know someone that owns a big piece of land up north.
    I did the opposite, moved to BC from Peace River. But work dictates.
    Alberta outdoorsman.
    Last edited by tigrr; 01-28-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

it does seem like a lot of private property in alberta compared to the amount of crown land that we have here. The priority points system is different i'm reading up on that and how all the tags works. Seems a lot different than just buying whatever tags you want here.
    Would I have to take the hunter course again?

The Alberta opportunities are not really in Calgary. The work opportunities lie in the edson, hinton, grande prairie, fox creek areas.( dont really know anything about ft mac)
    Many dont live there but just work there. There are lots of nice people, and douch bags too. It is what you make of it. The hunting and fishing is decent, but there is a major loss of crown land close to the towns, so you have to get used to driving alot or getting in good with a rancher or farmer. That is tough, they had about enough of new faces that ask and then poachers and trespassers that dont ask.
    Trade the fishy trout in for a tasty walleye. If you and your spouse are hard working and level headed you could likely double your house hold income, and reduce your housing expenses.

Check AOF. Been a member for quite some time. Join ASAP & let the friendly & knowledgeable members give you some insight.

After Vancouver, Calgary is my choice to live in. Love the wide open spaces & the super friendly locals. Eve's relatives live there. We may go there this summer.
    Was there in 2016 picking up my daughter after she graduated.
    Her only complaint was that it was much colder & windier than Van.

Went to a couple dinosaur museums(a must see) & saw plenty of deer going there & coming back.

Housing is considerably cheaper than the lower mainland.
    Eve's aunt bought a new house in 2016 for less than $600,000.

Did some exploring near the airport & saw some houses starting as low as $350,000.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    The Alberta opportunities are not really in Calgary. The work opportunities lie in the edson, hinton, grande prairie, fox creek areas.( dont really know anything about ft mac)
    Many dont live there but just work there. There are lots of nice people, and douch bags too. It is what you make of it. The hunting and fishing is decent, but there is a major loss of crown land close to the towns, so you have to get used to driving alot or getting in good with a rancher or farmer. That is tough, they had about enough of new faces that ask and then poachers and trespassers that dont ask.
    Trade the fishy trout in for a tasty walleye. If you and your spouse are hard working and level headed you could likely double your house hold income, and reduce your housing expenses.
    For work my company has another location in Calgary to work out of so I won't be switching companies or job.No spouse or anything along those lines, hence on a single income it being hard to buy anything in the lower mainland. even from the lml its a 3 hour drive to anywhere good to hunt anyways so it wont be to much of a change

There is good hunting not far from Calgary on both crown and private land

If you bowhunt huge amount of opportunity

Fishing C&R lots of good options and there is still good catch and keep options