Thread: August Fly in Hunt Northern BC Questions

August Fly in Hunt Northern BC Questions

Hey HBC,
    I've been in the process of planning a fly in hunt in Northern BC but I have some questions that I would like to ask you guys. My Father and I are looking to target mainly Moose and Elk, however some of the areas I have been looking in also have openings for Goats and Sheep. Due to School, We would have to be hunting in the last two weeks of August to make it happen.
    1. I have been scouting on Google Maps religiously for a couple weeks, but since I have never done a hunt like this before I am wondering what am I looking for in terms of terrain we can land a plane in? Would you recommend a Float Plane or a Bush Plane? How big of a lake do we need to land a float plane on or what are the requirements to land a bush plane out there?
    2. What elevation should I be looking for if we are focusing on Moose and Elk? I know the heat in August often drives the Moose up high, but how high is too much? Should we be looking for areas with meadows/ thick forest / alpine bowls? What do you recommend?
    3. How do we handle Grizzly Bears and defending our camp properly? I have heard of people stringing cans around their camps or even putting up a make shift fence to protect it. What is the most effective way to go about this?
    4. How do we cool our meat in the high temps without access to a generator/freezer combo? Also, assuming we connect on animals, how do we go about actually taking the meat out of our location? Do people have to take two flights back to bring a couple hundred pounds of meat out?
    5. Elk/Moose Pre Rut, is spot and stalk the best option? Are there areas besides water that we should be focusing on?
    6. Any essential gear that we would not think of normally that you would recommend bringing?

Thanks so much for your help, sorry about the load of questions. If anyone is in the process of planning a hunt similar to this or have been in the past please PM me! I am sure I will have more questions to ask.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: August Fly in Hunt Northern BC Questions

Float planes are the more common choice due to the prevalence of lakes vs air strips in BC. What size of lake? There are many variables so your best bet is to ask the charter company if they'll fly there once you spot a lake you like. For a bit of guidance I think Urs at Liard has a list of lakes he flies to. Keep in mind he's flying a Turbine Otter and it'll fly out of stuff no 180 or 185 will. In general if it's less than about 4000 ft it's too short.
    Last edited by MattW; 01-28-2018 at 08:28 PM.

1) Most outfits run Float planes but best to call the outfit in the area and discuss with them. they will know if they can land on the lake or not.
    2) No idea...
    3) Keep a clean camp. there are electric portable fences or the pac alarm. Bear spray is good to have. If you kill one in self defense you will have to explain to the CO's which isnt a big deal but saying "we saw it a 150 yds and it looked scary so we shot it" wont fly.lol
    4) Creeks, shade-research this, there is some good info out there but if its 30 plus degrees its going to be an issue, something to discuss prior to shooting an animal on day 1 or 2 on a 10 day trip, and yes two flights may be required depending on the plane.
    5) calling, need to find them first. situational I guess, if you see one in the open go for it.
    6)list your gear and we can go from there.

Alot of this info can be researched. I would grab a note book and start writing down relevant info. I'm currently looking into hunting Elk next year for the first time. Ive spoken with biologists and am doing an online Elk behavior Course, waiting for harvest numbers and speaking with folks on here. As well as the Google earth and map stuff.

Good luck!
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Your first step is finding an outfitter that specialized in fly-in hunts. They will match the plane to your needs and will really help you pick your place.

It isn't cheap. If price doesn't kill the dream all the other questions are pretty standard.

I'm planning a similar hunt in my own float plane this fall and am just starting to research. Feel free to PM any specific questions.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Remember
    There are only so many lakes in northern BC that have sheep and goats .
    No matter what lake you pick , you will not be the only hunters on that lake . Certain charter company's will drop off more than a few hunters into the same lake .
    Do your homework and be prepared to hike 2-3 days off any lake to get back away from the "crowds" .
    Remember the old saying , the ram you kill will be the one born the same year that you start hunting them .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Your first step is finding an outfitter that specialized in fly-in hunts. They will match the plane to your needs and will really help you pick your place.

It isn't cheap. If price doesn't kill the dream all the other questions are pretty standard.

I'm planning a similar hunt in my own float plane this fall and am just starting to research. Feel free to PM any specific questions.
    Is Kimber Kid non resident or why use an outfitter?