Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crown land around kamloops

crown land around kamloops

Hello everyone, I just recently moved to Kamloops from Kelowna, back in Kelowna I went target shooting on crown land quite ab it and would like to do the same thing here in Kamloops, is anyone aware of some good areas that I can legally shoot outside city limits around Kamloops? Preferably gravel pits but if not any other areas where it is legal to shoot, I always pick up all my casings and targets after I'm finished, I plan on mostly just shooting the 22 and air rifles, thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: crown land around kamloops

How often are you planning on going out?

Why not just join the Heffley Creek Gun club , at less than 100$ gives you a range out to 1,000 mtrs and insurance too.

About once a month or so

Just head up Tranquille rd ... that’s where I would go, up the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by bc8x8 View Post
    Why not just join the Heffley Creek Gun club , at less than 100$ gives you a range out to 1,000 mtrs and insurance too.
    That's what I was going to say. At $100 for the membership, you will likely burn more on fuel every time you go out to the sticks than to the ranges which are much closer. If it is only .22 and air rifles, even KTSA might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Isn't there a bunch of private land dotted through that area though?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    how far far do you have to go to be outside city limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Willstockton20 View Post
    how far far do you have to go to be outside city limits?
    It isn't even about city limits though. I'm pretty sure there is private land around there. Stay away from anywhere where there are people or structures. If you are dead set on crown vs the range, my suggestion would be out towards Paska Lake, up one of the logging roads. You have to climb pretty high but there are some open areas. Best bet is to take a look at the usage maps that are available on the gov websites.

First 8kms of Noble and Oconnor are all essentially "private land" due to the grazing lease. Could go out Jamieson but probably no where really to setup again in the lower 10+km. Batch is off limits until your up past mcqueen lake as the grasslands provincial park you are only allowed to shoot for hunting purposes, no target/recreational shooting and then once out of the park you get into mcqueen lake no shooting area. First several kms of Tranquille/red lake road are also part of the grasslands provincial park and again shooting only for hunting purposes then beyond the park you start heading into rural private properties/homes. If you go far enough up dew drop off the tranquille road you eventually get out of the park but don't remember what km. Then every other way out of town (ie old hwy 5a and hwy to vernon) is essentially lots of private land again. Best bet is probably somewhere up greenstone or orchard lake road. As others have said, probably just as well off to get a membership at Heffley or KTSA. I gave up trying to find spots in the bush a long time ago and I've lived here for almost 32 years and know most of the backroads like the back of my hand, you'll end up driving 5 times further in the bush than to a range and unless you find a road that they've plowed out for logging this time of year good luck.