Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wapiti Wednesday

Re: Wapiti Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Yup, in that case stick with a Canon or Nikon for finding cheaper used zoom lenses. (especially f2.8's)
    Way more of them on CL due to more owners of that brand.
    All my lenses are used, in mint shape, and so far so good.
    Just don't buy Sony if you are trying to keep costs down, but great cameras.
    nikon 300mm f2.8 is around $6-7,000 new!!
    If you have one I'd be curious how much you paid for it used?

That would be an incredible wildlife lens to own, but it is far far outside my budget.

At 300mm my 55-300 maxes out at f5.6 which is terrible but hey, can't beat $199USD

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    nikon 300mm f2.8 is around $6-7,000 new!!
    If you have one I'd be curious how much you paid for it used?

That would be an incredible wildlife lens to own, but it is far far outside my budget.

At 300mm my 55-300 maxes out at f5.6 which is terrible but hey, can't beat $199USD
    Hold on buddy...me, mr money bags.....nope, wrong guy...lol
    You did see that part where I said "all" my lenses are "used"...lol
    I have a Sony, and I like to look at what peole are selling used as far as lenses go.
    The same lens, made by sony, compared to canon, is like 30% more.
    Also, Canon and Nikon have a way bigger selection, and way more "end users", so way more used lenses for sale then looking for a used sony.
    I was only giving some sound "cheap" advice..lol
    But yup, 199$ for a 300mm, is just right!

Beauty bull..

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Hold on buddy...me, mr money bags.....nope, wrong guy...lol
    You did see that part where I said "all" my lenses are "used"...lol
    I have a Sony, and I like to look at what peole are selling used as far as lenses go.
    The same lens, made by sony, compared to canon, is like 30% more.
    Also, Canon and Nikon have a way bigger selection, and way more "end users", so way more used lenses for sale then looking for a used sony.
    I was only giving some sound "cheap" advice..lol
    But yup, 199$ for a 300mm, is just right!
    ah, ok .... somehow I got out of it that you had the 2.8.
    Looked it up on ebay to satisfy my curiosity and it looks like some older ones can be had for under $2,000USD.

Dare i say a bargain compared to the new ones for like $6k? lol.

A good nikon set up is a dx camera ,not full frame. a 300mm f4 and a tc 1.4 teleconvertor. The lens and convertor will cost about two grand .great for wildlife etc. It is a tried and true set up that you can handhold. Would i like a longer prime? yes but then you are into big money.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    A good nikon set up is a dx camera ,not full frame. a 300mm f4 and a tc 1.4 teleconvertor. The lens and convertor will cost about two grand .great for wildlife etc. It is a tried and true set up that you can handhold. Would i like a longer prime? yes but then you are into big money.
    Yes, but f4 at 1.4TC is f5.6, which is not that great. Not when you have to use a quick shutter speed. If the animal (especially bird) is moving quickly, you don't have a choice but to use a very fast shutter speed. At f5.6 your ISO is going to go up and unless your DX camera can handle higher ISO well it might not turn out that well. I know mine doesn't .... not to my liking anyways. Most of the FX cameras are phenomenal at handling higher ISO numbers.

I shot a few pics of animals that weren't even moving quickly and they turned out way too blurry. In the moment I thought 1/250s was fine but not even close. Turns out my hands were shaking enough to make it very pronounced at 300mm. Live and learn.