Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shifting Focus: Is it time?

Re: Shifting Focus: Is it time?

"If someone says they are against huntinglook at this as an opportunity.
    Ask them why they are opposed to hunting and more importantly listen to what they have to say.
    "

This quote from the letter is So important.

Instead of starting a rant on why hunting is good and even necessary, found out WHY a person is opposed to hunting.

Often their position is based on misinformation.

With this identified, it can be easy to offer facts that will allow the person to reconsider their position.

And give them time. No one easily changes their core beliefs in an instant. Let the facts brew.

Hunters can have a significant impact on non-hunting perceptions. It doesn't take an organization or a media campaign to be successful, it just takes tact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    Fair enough. But it is about marketing and strategy that coordinates and focuses us all. All the heavy lifting in the world is baseless unless we can deliver the message to the wider community.
    Educating hunters on behaviour and discussion points for communication to non-hunters is invaluable.

In the end, it will come down to each one of us making an effort. If each hunter made a positive impression to four non-hunters, the balance of public opinion will be in "our" favour.

But let's not be blind to the various avenues anti-hunting advocates are taking.

Organizations such as WSSBC are needed to co-ordinate against more complex threats such as anti-hunting biased 'Science".

You would think we as hunters could come up with and support an organization where the focus is on hunting period. Not species, trophy, resident, licensed or unlicensed oriented. A group that focuses on species that we hunt, and is welcoming to all.
    I think there is a group of unaffiliated clubs and individuals looking for a place to park their energy, time and money.
    It would have to be able to be politically active and a stand alone organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedPony View Post
    SCI is in the loop on BC’s anti hunting issue, they fully support new messaging going forward.
    It has been discussed at the national level.
    Correct and hunters should be supporting the effort of both organizations is all I am suggesting

Give the movement more power is all

Quote Originally Posted by Asp View Post
    Not off the rails at all. .........
    Then we get a different reading

the ??? is
    Is it time to start investing time and money into our image as hunters to the non-hunting community?
    Should a previously non-political, non-partisan wildlife conservation focused group change it colours, change its mission statement, change its mandate ?
    We all know what needs to be done. Do you members want the WSSoBC to be the one to do it?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

To use a military term... we are now engaged in an 'information operation.'
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Then we get a different reading

the ??? is Should a previously non-political, non-partisan wildlife conservation focused group change it colours, change its mission statement, change its mandate ?
    We all know what needs to be done. Do you members want the WSSoBC to be the one to do it?
    Does it really matter who gets the job done?

If the WSSBC wants to stand on this issue to benefit hunting good on them

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Does it really matter who gets the job done?

If the WSSBC wants to stand on this issue to benefit hunting good on them
    Post of the year.

There's been a wake up call.
    Become active anyway you can.
    Club level.....organizations....political influence.
    Find your niche and contribute.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    the ??? is Should a previously non-political, non-partisan wildlife conservation focused group change it colours, change its mission statement, change its mandate ?
    I believe every conservation or hunting organization (and more importantly members and hunters) should be doing this and should be committing funds towards it. No one group should be doing it. Every group needs to take a hard look at themselves and what's important moving forward. Again, the group can only do so much by leading, it's up to the members to be actively carrying out the mandate throughout the year.

This isn't political and it's not partisan at all. It's educating and informing and ensuring the long term success of wildlife management and the ability to experience all that is hunting and enjoying wildlife.

I'm not sure how members of an organization would not support something like this, but I'd imagine there may be some with their heads in the sand hoping to continue doing the same thing we've been doing while expecting different results....

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    I believe every conservation or hunting organization (and more importantly members and hunters) should be doing this and should be committing funds towards it. No one group should be doing it. Every group needs to take a hard look at themselves and what's important moving forward. Again, the group can only do so much by leading, it's up to the members to be actively carrying out the mandate throughout the year.

This isn't political and it's not partisan at all. It's educating and informing and ensuring the long term success of wildlife management and the ability to experience all that is hunting and enjoying wildlife.

I'm not sure how members of an organization would not support something like this, but I'd imagine there may be some with their heads in the sand hoping to continue doing the same thing we've been doing while expecting different results....

Well said and exactly how I see it

This would be a step in the right direction.

I started pestering hunters to do this very thing a few years ago. Mostly falls on deaf ears, but the grizzly bear ban was a wake up call for many.

Best defense is a good offense. The hunting community has always been on the defensive, trying to justify that what we do is OK every time an anti-hunting group starts in on another attack. The attitude that we can stay under the radar and hope we get left alone doesn't work in this day and age.