Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunters: To protect our social licence, we have to stop killing animals we don’t eat

Re: Hunters: To protect our social licence, we have to stop killing animals we don’t

I think we have a few on this site like the writer, claiming to be hunters.
    Guess they were handed down some guns due to inheritance, and may have hunted way back when with granddad.
    He should post pictures of the "big game" he has taken in his articles, before I buy into that autobiography of his.
    Sounds like someone else on this site.

Re: Hunters: To protect our social licence, we have to stop killing animals we don’t

I don't hate many things in this world but that man is at the top of the list.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Hunters must take every opportunity to express their views - the future of hunting depends on it.

Submitted this to the Globe and Mail this morning. If you wish to express your own opinion, send it to:

Letters@globeandmail.com

NHassan@globeandmail.com (Opinion editor)

Good morning. After reading Mr. Darimont’s anti-hunting opinion piece in yesterday’s Globe and Mail, I hope the Globe and Mail allows differing viewpoints to be published in the Opinion section. There are many wildlife management professionals and conservationists who would be keen to present an alternative perspective.

Typical of an anti-hunting position, Mr. Darimont’s opinion piece is characterized by charged emotional language – the “frenzied dogs”, the hunter “lording over” the fallen cougar, etc.

Mr. Darimont alludes to diseases that can be acquired by humans as a result of consuming the meat of predators, but fails to provide any examples or evidence to substantiate his position.

Mr. Darimont uses the economic example of ecotourism revenue generated by grizzly bear viewing in certain regions of coastal British Columbia. He does not provide any evidence this economic activity can be “scaled up” to a provincial level.

Mr. Darimont’s position is nothing more than an attempt to demonstrate the self-declared superiority of his personal ethics and impose them on society at large. Science should dictate wildlife population management, distinct from Mr. Darimont and the vagaries of his “social license”.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited by glennw89; 01-24-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Great letter Glenn - thanks!

People have a knee jerk reaction to this kind of published material which is an article filled misinformation and emotion. They don't have any idea what a responsible wildlife management strategy consists of, they just sit back in their arm chair and climb on board. Maintaining a balance between predator and prey animals does not enter into the equation. They run on tunnel vision and trying to reason with these people is an exercise in futility.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    People have a knee jerk reaction to this kind of published material which is an article filled misinformation and emotion. They don't have any idea what a responsible wildlife management strategy consists of, they just sit back in their arm chair and climb on board. Maintaining a balance between predator and prey animals does not enter into the equation. They run on tunnel vision and trying to reason with these people is an exercise in futility.
    Sad but true.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    why does it matter what a persons motivations regarding harvest of grizzly is for vain reasons? Taking it away so that grizzly are killed for nuisance, livestock, safety reasons still results in a dead bear. It also results in hide and skull destroyed which otherwise would be appreciated. At least the vain person regards the bear higher then the paid assassin who after killing it then throws the once noble creature in the town dump...to rot with all the rest af society's throwaways. No story, no rug to don a wall. No pictures. No history. Forgotten forever.
    I can never really understand your posts but if I get what your saying this is what has to be shown, pictures of these bears,cats etc that have there heads and feet cut off and are throwing in the dump or over the bank for this is what happens to the majority of animals deemed as a problem, but the general public does not no that. In most cases if they don't see it killed they think they are being taken away and let go. Now with the closing of some seasons and possible more there is a good chance that this will be happening more and more which is really more of a waste.

Just submitted.

Dear Globe and Mail,

Responding to the article by Mr. Chris Darimont of The Raincoast Foundation titled “Hunters: To protect our social license, we have to stop killing animals we don’t eat”.

He does not speak for hunters. His claim to be one is laughable. His statements are rhetorical lies intended to sway public emotion in order to push his own personal agenda; to protect all predators. For example, words such as “Bloodied-lifeless” and “trophy”. It’s appalling that he even used the words “small-penis” to strengthen his argument. Wow. People belonging to my Fish and Game Organization eagerly pursue cougar and bear meat and to say it is inedible is again an outright lie. I beg of people to see this man for what he is; a man willing to manipulate the public using lies to push his own personal agenda. By doing so he is challenging my right to choose what I eat.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Here was my response

Dear Globe and Mail,

Responding to the article by Mr. Chris Darimont of The Raincoast Foundation titled “Hunters: To protect our social license, we have to stop killing animals we don’t eat”.

This article is laced with misinformation portrayed as truth. Many of this writers statements are not opinion based, but flat out lies. He claims hunters do not eat large predators and they are not suitable for eating but this can not be farther from the truth. Although much of the general public is not aware, Cougat and Bear meat is actually healthy, nutritious and delicious, In fact they are favourites of many of my friends and family.

It is great that the Globe and Mail allows readers to submit opinion articles and content. I believe it is important for this publication to ensure factual information is being published. The majority of the public trusts something they read from a reputable source such as yours to be accurate and vetted.

Mr. Darimont has forged this article to sway public opinion with misinformation and deceit. The fact it lists his affiliation with UVIC lends credence to the article and falsely validates the information.

Please review the article in question and avoid publishing false propaganda in the future. Continued publishing of these types of pieces lowers the high standard we have come to expect from such a reputable source such as the Globe and Mail.

Thank you for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    brownmancheng:

The BCWF is a great organization, but it has it's limits and it's about time we recognized them.

They are uncompetitive on social media. Maybe they shouldn't be, but they are. A solid social media presence requires several people working in shifts to get out a consistent message. BCWF (as far as I can see) has neither the resources nor the talent for that. I'm not criticizing them. I'm just pointing out that they are not equipped to respond well on social media. Someone else is going to have to do that.

The media isn't going to fact check jack shit. Perhaps they should, but look out your window. They don't. There's a good reason for it. They're losing money and their old business model doesn't pay. Add into this the fact (yes, the irony of this statement isn't lost on me) that we live in a post-fact world. Opinions are much more valuable and pay much better than facts. As soon as you start looking (and Chris Darimont's article offers proof) you'll see it.

Additionally, because old fashioned media can't make money they're happy to take opinion pieces written by people who are being paid by someone else. It's free content. If we want to counter that we need someone (or a bunch of someones) who can write usable content.

You are right to see some issues with involving other people as stakeholders. It is a fact that hunting conservationists are missing a hell of a good game, and that many anti-hunters are paying close attention. Notice the headline: Raincoast is casting itself as a hunting entity that wants to preserve social license for hunters.

Also, lets recognize that in terms of money, many NGOs are much better funded than BCWF or any other conservationist hunter group.

Is there a bright side? Absolutely. We have a better story to tell. The problem is that we need more people to tell it, and we need to get it to the right people (both the general public and decision makers/thought influencers).

You've heard the phrase "managing to zero", right? Awesome phrase, awesome concept. You know who hasn't heard it but who understands it immediately every time I bring it up? Every MLA I talk to. They don't know about it until I bring it up.

Now, I've said BCWF is limited and can't fix everything. You know what they can and have done, and done very well? Connected diverse people from across the province who are working on the bigger picture. That will continue. There's probably somewhere around 100,000 licensed hunters in BC. We outnumber a lot of NGOs already. All we need to do is get into the game.

Great points Rob.

I do however feel it is time BCWF does take the next step and join the digital age. There is no doubt they have it in their budget. A quick google search of previous years AGMs reveals there income has well over doubled in the last few years. It also says they have used that money to invest in staff, I do question if it was the right departments/ staff.

I have said before it is an organization that has a good reputation and has a good public image, but, if it does not follow WSSBC and change its method of operation it is doing a great disservice to the public and all its members. I would love nothing more than to support it as we are in dire need of such an organization.