Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "People who just don't give a shiit" thread

Re: The "People who just don't give a shiit" thread

Not to cast doubt but I have seen roads deactivated in a manner of the most impenetrable tangle of downed trees imaginable. I have no doubt animals would avoid using those roads for travel. I've examined some of these very roads on google earth to see that entire stretches 10-20-30km done like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    "The ministry says the closure was intended to discourage people and predators from using the road to reach areas where the herd could be found."

Deactivating a road to keep people out is one thing. But stating that a deactivated road discourages predators???? That's a bit hard to swallow.
    Ahh these predators to day are well educated,,just put traffic sign there ,,,no meat eaters allowed..

Quote Originally Posted by finngun View Post
    Ahh these predators to day are well educated,,just put traffic sign there ,,,no meat eaters allowed..
    I agree. I mean, I have seen all those commercials with cute bears walking and talking and read about the wolves frolicking and playing with the puppies at Tofino.......

140.000 to deactivate, what the hell did they pave it first.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Quote Originally Posted by dakoda62 View Post
    140.000 to deactivate, what the hell did they pave it first.
    See, now if your correct, and I am assuming you meant 140,000$, that is why most of the spur roads in logging are
    never properly deactivated.
    Most of the trenches you see re probably for waster run off, like a culvert, and there are some roads which they do
    trench out super deep, but any creature can still walk it.
    But, at 140 grand, Forestry Companies will not want to pay that out of pocket after doing a cut block.
    Throwing all that debris back over a road is a great concept, IMO, and I can see if done right, that no creature may want to use it, not even as a game trail.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    "The ministry says the closure was intended to discourage people and predators from using the road to reach areas where the herd could be found."

Deactivating a road to keep people out is one thing. But stating that a deactivated road discourages predators???? That's a bit hard to swallow.
    important to remember though - a road with packed snow, (from people) is a whole lot easier for predators to make good ground on. The existence of the road itself is less important.

when this was first posted in the fall it had the same negative attitude, pretty sad...

wolves travel easier on linear features, which increases hunting opportunity, aka higher kill rate....what they're doing is not the typical road deactivation, pull out a few culverts that any lifted truck or quad can drive through, it's more of a road re-naturalization

most on here tend to agree wolves need to be managed, this road deactivation is a non lethal option, management includes more than simply trying to kill wolves (where the average hunter is not even remotely effective)... the road in question leads to a calving area which is part of the project...we have gov't, local FN and industry working together on this, why are we ridiculing these efforts??

https://www.cosia.ca/uploads/files/c...andFarther.pdf

http://davidmoskowitz.net/2016/04/kl...nning-project/
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    Not to cast doubt but I have seen roads deactivated in a manner of the most impenetrable tangle of downed trees imaginable. I have no doubt animals would avoid using those roads for travel. I've examined some of these very roads on google earth to see that entire stretches 10-20-30km done like this.
    what to you think that cost us to deactivate 30k of road we already paid for

Logging company probably paid for the rd on deactivating

The road was an experiment in deactivation to see if it would deter or reduce predator activity. The road was mounded, trenched, covered with debris, all trying to reduce line of site and travel corridors of mainly wolves. The road was expensive to deactivate, and no, a poor logging company did not pay for it, it was an FSR and was deactivated with $$$ from the government, local supports, FN's and wildlife groups (HCF and possibly BC Hydro's compensation program).

It cost $20000 to re-deactivate the road and you can bet there will be cameras and more of a watch over the area.

Since we have a mountain of momentum against the killing of wolves, the boots on the ground people are trying different things to see if anything will work. Lets not be key board warriors and bash those who are trying........

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!