Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trapping wolves in north eastern BC

Re: Trapping wolves in north eastern BC

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    I am really enjoying this thread. My son is trapping up in Fort Nelson, well near Nevis Creek along the Redfern Trail to be more exact, but he lives in Fort Nelson. I get the occasional picture from him.... Wish I still there so I could go with him.

Would love to see some progress from there too! Would even like to donate if he would accept.
    Used to spend lots of time up there and would like to go back one day.
    "It's not a sport, it's a way of life. Enjoy every moment and every moment is a reward. Taking an animal is the objective but pleasure is found in the entire experience." - J_T

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I will ask for some recent pictures
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Hey guys its been hard to put words together here. When I start the day I want to get stuff done, not sit and write, and by the end, I am tired and really dont feel like trying to pull my thoughts together in a coherent format. But I will try to become more disciplined and set aside some time for this writing thing.

Anyway not much to report the last three weeks. A little wolf sign here and there, but not much and not consistent like in the past. There just arent many wolves left to catch and with less pack members they need less food, so cover less ground to get it.
    We did pick a third one up on Tuesday, however an eagle was on him and had already destroyed the pelt so left him eat his fill.
    We are seeing lots more game sign this winter.

February 26
    Dad came out to help open some trail and try and get on a new pack of wolves.
    Had a few mishaps on the way

Sure is nice to have help

but made some progress despite being tiered and sore by the end of the day. Backtracked to an old line cabin for the night. We will push the trail down farther and set it up tomorrow

Up early. Got some good sets in on the trail we made yesterday and push on a bit farther then headed home.
    Picked up five marten and a third wolf! However an eagle was on him and had already destroyed the pelt so we just let him eat his fill.

Hey folks, an update and something of a wrap up here.
    In early March I finally snagged one of the wolves around home here. Unfortunately he chewed off the snare. However at least one neighbor down the road killed one from this pack, so that's good.
    And mid March got another one out of the mountains. So that makes four from the mountains.

We sure aren’t seeing many out there, only one in this pack, two left in that, and maybe three in those other packs.
    And the game numbers we are seeing this winter are very encouraging

So that wraps it up for the mountains this year. We pulled the last of the snares out there on Mar 29-30. The sun is bringing some real heat to bare on those south facing slopes and the snow is leaving fast so spring is coming.
    Last edited by tanner; 04-08-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Oh hey, here is a picture of that third wolf after the eagle was on him. Not pretty but everybody has to eat.

Thanks tanner for taking out some wolves. Much appreciated for all your hard work.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.