Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapping wolves in north eastern BC

Trapping wolves in north eastern BC

I want to keep those that trusted me with there money up on what I am doing with it.

Tanner Unruh

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Trapping wolves in north eastern BC

January 15
    Back on Saturday (13th) I drove to town to put furs on the bus for auction. Part way to town my pickup started surging and dying. Shut off several times, making it especial hard to go through intersections but I made it to the bus depot and sent the furs off to make the Helsinki sale in Finland. Hoping this sale is a good one plus I need the advance dollars. As I made a couple more stops around town the pickup would run fine for a wile then start sputtering and dying again, often with a ticking sound. We just came through some very cold weather (-35&-40C) so figured the fuel might be gelling despite showing good fuel pressure after the fuel filter. So bought some anti gel and dumped in a very healthy dose. Made it home sputtering and surging.
    Next day Sunday truck started fine and never gave me any trouble all day. So refueled adding more fuel conditioner in preparation for today
    So this morning I packed and loaded to go up to the trapline for the next two days. And the truck starts sputtering and surging again! I started up the highway hopping it would clear up or I would just go anyway. But caution got the better of me so I turned around and drove home. Spent the rest of the day trying to track down the problem including replacing the fuel filter (another trip to town). Still sputtering and ticking. The ticking seems to be coming from the fuel pump, not good!

Last edited by tanner; 01-22-2018 at 02:28 PM.

January 16
    Checked a few more things to confirm the problem is probably the injection pump. Then spent the rest of the day taking it out so it can be rebuilt. Not a fun job, I would much rather be hanging cable.

January 17
    Sent the injection pump down to Dawson Cr. with my uncle, to be rebuilt.
    My Dad was able to take me up the highway and drop me off so I could push my trail in farther and set more snares. We left early enough to get on the trail at daylight. On the way in I found the first wolf catch of the season!

And the second close by!!

The one looks like a nice black colour. The other is gray. All 16 wolves last year were varied versions of gray. So that's a nice change.
    Spent the remainder of the day breaking trail the rest of the way in too the cabin. I had a little daylight left so looked around some and found wolf sign to set on tomorrow. Capped off a great day hearing a lone wolf howl. He'll just have to wait his turn to catch a ride out

January 18
    Got lots of good trail snares set out. I am very hopeful we will have something next time the wolves come through. Made it out at dark. Dad came back out to pick me up. A three hour round trip for him.

January 20
    Took yesterday off to chill and do some odd thinks around home
    Today checked my wolf sets around home here. No catch or sign this time. Last time they came through the wolves were acting strange. They would stay in the bush and didn't come out to follow my skidoo trail for more than 20 meters at a time, only came out in a couple places. And didnt go to the bait, despite hitting it hard when I put it out. Hmm, someone may have tipped them off.

Right on keep it up , what area do you have to trap
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

very cool tanner. Hope your truck gets fixed up soon.

"1. BAITS
    In the past, due to where I live and access to road kill, my bait was very limited. I had to learn how to get the wolves with little or no bait. This involved following them, getting to know regular routes as opposed to random trails. This took time but eventually started to pay off and I killed a pile of them this way.
    LOADS of bait can work. Best time to create bait piles is immediately after bears den up. If you can, it can be beneficial for someone who does NOT SET TRAPS to drop baits for the trapper after a handful of wolves have been whacked. Wolves will smell the culprit who killed their members and register their scent as trouble. When the wolf killer drops more bait, the educated wolves will commonly not go near them due to the 'killer scent' factor. YES, they are this smart. I noted a pack or two doing this with me in the past. One large pile I maintained, the wolves would come down the road and the whole pack would lay down about 100 yards outside my nearest snare. Two wolves would circumnavigate the pile, go back, grab the pack and leave. they never went to the pile once. However, they told me where they felt safe and I zipped the two leaders on their safety trail the 3rd time they came to circle."

From Proguide66

I wonder if this is what you are running into.... Some great pictures. Keep up the great work.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Nice to see a fairly close to me trapper on here.
    Keep up the good work Tanner.
    Very much appreciate your efforts in trying to control these preds.

Eric
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye