Thread: Bird Bands....... Interesting

guest Guest

Bird Bands....... Interesting

I've always found the information on where's when's interesting on the Ducks and geese we've harvested over the years. It's kind of cool to get the follow up and history of where these birds are traveling to and from and what age or when they were banded.

A most recent band I removed and reported was as follows.
    Shot on Jan 18 2918 near Cloverdale, Surrey BC.
    Banded, Aug 6 2010
    NR Minto, Minto Flats, Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, USA.
    Age ..... Hatched in 2010 or earlier ........

making this Drake Mallard at least 7 years old.

I know of on Big Honker Canada Goose one if our group took in Saskatchewan was over 14 years old ....... Wow! Imagine the miles that bird put on in its life , and the predators and hunters it managed to evade for that long. rather cool history I'd say.

Whats the story on some of your Harvested Banded birds?

CT

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bird Bands....... Interesting

Interesting stuff, that is one reason why long term studies are important for making management decisions. I really enjoyed my years of waterfowl hunting, most of the gang have got old and given it up, maybe this year!

I found a leg band on the beach in front of my house about 10 years ago. The report I got back said it was put on a seagull near Victoria in 1968, the gull was to young to identify sex at the time.
    I dont know how long it was there before I found it.

I shot a Canada goose that was at least 18 years old and banded pretty much where I got it!
    Also had a duck and goose that were banded in Oregon.
    I was lucky enough to shoot a mallard a few years ago with a silver band and a green reward band. It was from Alaska. They sent a cheque for $50 usd!!!
    Shot mallards from the Yukon, Alaska, peace river and Hay Lake Alberta too.
    Buddy shot a collared goose on the Pitt River that was from Parksville (know of 3 shot around the same area over 6 months). He also shot a Gadwal with a band and a blue plastic bill band, was pretty cool!
    Orher geese have been from Harrison Mills and Bowen Island.
    Always interesting and it’s great that now we can get the information right away.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

The wife took a photo of a banded crow that landed on our deck in N.Vancouver a few years ago. We could see the numbers on the band so she emailed a few people and found out it was banded 5 years previous, also is N.Van.

all my duck bands where from alaska..
    goose band stanley park lol...go figure

Not me but a buddy. A few years ago he shot a Canada with two bands, one a US $100.00 reward band. The next year and in the same field, he shot another Canada which also wore a US $100.00 reward band. Not sure on the odds on that one but he bought beer and pizza that night.

Ron
    Quail is the virgin
    Duck is the mature woman
    .....Iron Chef