Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Seasons over.... lets see some pics!

Re: Seasons over.... lets see some pics!

Nowhere near the duck season we had last year....but still managed a few. Lets all pray for a freeze up for next season.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

guest Guest

No freeze up please ....... I like my wild duck to taste like wild duck , not Bullheads lol

If you are going to be a westcoast waterfowler you need to make hay while the sun shines (or the bay freezes)......never had a fishy one last year...learn your birds and treat them accordingly. Heres 212 lbs of last years freeze up, not a hint of fishiness....also have 10 bacon wrapped teal in the oven right now.

guest Guest

That's awesome right there ........ Newman and Krammer would be jealous lol.

Just wondering though, how can I tell if a Mallard flying forty yards out has spent the last three weeks on the foreshore or not.

When we get a freeze up in the Fraser valley for longer periods of time, many birds head to the foreshore ....... Then can taste fishy. No I'm not shooting divers period.

Do you need lessons on how to tell a fishy one from a non fishy one in the hand?

Deal with them accordingly

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kyleklassen View Post
    Do you need lessons on how to tell a fishy one from a non fishy one in the hand?
    lol ...... After over fifty years of Water-fowling I guess I do ........ We dress birds either same day or next day, remove all breasts, legs thighs, soak in salt and water remove blood and shot, pluck some big mallards .......
    But some, pins widge and mallards even can at times taste fishy when we have a lengthy freeze. No freeze = better taste.

Best tasting birds we have are from the prarries ....... Early birds here are quite tasty too.

Thanks for the tips, always nice to learn something new. After talking with Kyle, I have learned more of that fishy or ocean based mud flat eel grass taste or smell is in the FAT. makes complete sence. If we roasted plucked ducks, we would often have the strong smell, and fishy taste. We always remove the fat from breasted birds, and remove it from legs and thighs before cooking too. Ma hated the smell of them fishy roasting mallards. Lol
    Last edited by guest; 01-22-2018 at 09:30 AM.