Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crate sizes for a lab?

Crate sizes for a lab?

Hoping to get a lab pup in the coming months, so am looking at some crate options. Ideally I would like to buy one, and get a divider so it would be a good size for a puppy.

What size and type for a lab? Ive heard around 42" is good, but would welcome some input from you guys?

Also, what brands to look at?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crate sizes for a lab?

I'm reading about this very topic, we plan to take home a new pup in the next few months.

Are you thinking about using this crate for traveling in the car or truck? The best ones I've found are the Gunner Kennels G1 models. They have a 5 star crash rating believe it or not... They are expensive, but the way I look at it, it's no different than buying car seats to protect your children; why not do it for your dog too?

Here's a link:

https://gunnerkennels.com/

No, im thinking about for sleeping/nightime mainly. Ill plan to get a travel one for my SUV too, but probably something a bit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawaterfowler View Post
    I'm reading about this very topic, we plan to take home a new pup in the next few months.

Are you thinking about using this crate for traveling in the car or truck? The best ones I've found are the Gunner Kennels G1 models. They have a 5 star crash rating believe it or not... They are expensive, but the way I look at it, it's no different than buying car seats to protect your children; why not do it for your dog too?

Here's a link:

https://gunnerkennels.com/

300 or 400 Veri Kennel for an adult, but block part of it off until the pup is bigger. They need to be able to stand up and turn around only if the crate is to big the may start to pee and crap in one end of it, once they are house broke bigger is fine.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    No, im thinking about for sleeping/nightime mainly. Ill plan to get a travel one for my SUV too, but probably something a bit smaller.
    Buy the smaller one first and then when your pup out grows it, go larger. Until my pup was about 7-8 months old I always had two crates in use. One stayed in my truck and the other in the house. They were different sizes. I'd keep the slightly smaller one in the truck because she didn't spend enough times in it to have the need to really stretch out. I used the vari-kennels. Check out Craigs List,,,,that's where I bought all three of mine. Usually less than half the cost.

The only time I use the crate now is when I travel to hunt or during my dinner time. She hasn't slept in it since she's been 4 months old or crated when I head out for a few hours since she was 7-8 months of age but she loves it so anytime I have to kennel her up she has zero issues with it. Telling her to "kennel up" is still part of her daily training.

How big is the dog going to be? I would suggest by the one you need when hes an adult and use a divider.

I have a gunner kennel G1 Large and would highly recommend them. My lab is 50lbs and she has tonos of room in there

Lorne
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 01-19-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    How big is the dog going to be? I would suggest by the one you need when hes an adult and use a divider.

I have a gunner kennel G1 Large and would highly recommend them. My lab is 50lbs and she has tonos of room in there

Lorne
    Lorne,

Did you make the divider for the G1 kennel or did you buy one? I couldn't see an option for a divider on the Gunner Kennel website.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawaterfowler View Post
    Lorne,

Did you make the divider for the G1 kennel or did you buy one? I couldn't see an option for a divider on the Gunner Kennel website.
    I just made one out of wood.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Yep, agree with lorneparker1 -- my lab pup is 5 years young now and has a grey chin (OMG!?!), but she's lived her whole life sleeping inside her "Large" crate that had a divider when she was a pup.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    For that purpose, suggest one of the wire crates. They are cheap and the larger ones come with dividers. They fold up easy and flat so easy to transport also.