Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crate sizes for a lab?

Re: Crate sizes for a lab?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawaterfowler View Post
    I'm reading about this very topic, we plan to take home a new pup in the next few months.

Are you thinking about using this crate for traveling in the car or truck? The best ones I've found are the Gunner Kennels G1 models. They have a 5 star crash rating believe it or not... They are expensive, but the way I look at it, it's no different than buying car seats to protect your children; why not do it for your dog too?

Here's a link:

https://gunnerkennels.com/
    Even the most crash resistant kennel might not help in a crash. deceleration forces can still cause internal bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdeuce View Post
    For that purpose, suggest one of the wire crates. They are cheap and the larger ones come with dividers. They fold up easy and flat so easy to transport also.
    If the crate will be in the house, they work fine but in a non heated area they have no way of holding in the dogs body heat unless you "wrap" them. I have used Vari Kennels since the 70's and swear by them, great bang for your buck
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    If the crate will be in the house, they work fine but in a non heated area they have no way of holding in the dogs body heat unless you "wrap" them. I have used Vari Kennels since the 70's and swear by them, great bang for your buck
    Ill look into the Vari kennels, thanks for the tip! We plan to have the crate in our laundry area which is heated, so might look at both options.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Creek View Post
    Another option is the Ruff Tough kennel ..... http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.c...gory_s/164.htm
    Thanks. What size would you recommend for a male lab? Large or XL?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdeuce View Post
    For that purpose, suggest one of the wire crates. They are cheap and the larger ones come with dividers. They fold up easy and flat so easy to transport also.
    This is what we did with our lab/gsd. We bought one that would work for when she was full size and just blocked off most of the crate when she was a pup. Worked like a hot damn.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Thanks. What size would you recommend for a male lab? Large or XL?
    Large should be plenty big enough
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I see you are in Walnut Grove. I have a large vari-kennel you can have if you're interested. PM me if you are, I'm also in Walnut Grove.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Ovis17 View Post
    I see you are in Walnut Grove. I have a large vari-kennel you can have if you're interested. PM me if you are, I'm also in Walnut Grove.

Thanks Ovis - PM sent!

Size of kennel depends on size of dog., Labs vary from around 45 lbs. to well over 100 lbs. Mine are in the range of 60 to 70 lbs. and I wouldn't use anything less than XL Vari-kennel.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Thanks for the input guys. Ovis17 kindly solved my dilemma and hooked me up with a vari kennel.